Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dealing with Discouragement

You know how sometimes lots of little things start to go wrong and pretty soon you find yourself zapped of all your joy? Well, that's how I've been feeling lately. Major stuff, trivial stuff and it just seems to keep happening. I know that JOY should come from deep down inside of me and should not be dependant on my circumstances but sometimes....
  • Olivia went to be with Jesus and that was major. Crushing...
  • An unnamed child left the freezer door open and it was about 24 hours before I realized it (it's in the garage) and I had to throw out hundreds of dollars worth of food.
  • Ever since we staged our house to sell we've had a storage unit filled with lots of our stuff. I went to check on some things the other day and found MOLD. Mold all over my good love seat that I spent way too much money on that I love. It's ruined. And who knows what else..
  • McKenna was just diagnosed with Molluscum Contagiosum. It's a virus that's part of the chicken pox/small pox family. It's not major and usually goes away on it's own, but it can be major and hers is starting to spread and that's scaring me. She's got a spot on her face now and it just makes me sad!
  • Emma, Abby and Nate moved away :(
  • I was just diagnosed with Plantar Faciitis and it's bad. Really I've had it since December but I'm just now dealing with it. Sometimes I feel like I can hardly walk on my right foot. I limp around the house all the time. My podiatrist wants to give me cortisone shots into the bottom of my foot (That was supposed to happen today until I called and postponed the appointment until next Friday...I'm just a tad bit terrified :) And then there's the $425 orthodics that I now need. I've had foot issues since I was in the second grade. I basically don't have arches at all in my feet and my flip flops with their lack of arch support are finally catching up with me. I know I have to deal with this now or I'm going to end up having screws up in my arch, like my mom, to keep my arch from falling.
  • And lastly, and I haven't even mentioned this to Ryan yet, there was the cement pole that my car encountered tonight while I was at the carwash vacuuming out my car. It was one of those short poles to keep you from running into the vacuum machine. I didn't see it and let's just say the front fender of my car will never be the same.
  • Add "fireworks season" aka "single mom" on top of all that and I've been lacking a little joy.

Thankfully I recognized that I was feeling pretty down and a tiny bit on the edge (you know...short with my kids...grouchy...etc). So tonight it was time to take matters in to my own hands - oh wait - that doesn't work. I've tried it before. It was time to spend a little time with my Heavenly Father. So I packed the kids in the car. Sippy cups in hand, fruit snacks in my purse, we were ready for a good time. Christian asked where we were going and I told him that I was feeling disappointed about some things so we were going to spend some time with Jesus because he always makes me feel better. He looked at me with these huge eyes with just a tiny bit of panic in them. So I assured him that we were not going to heaven just the closest thing we could find to it. And we hit the road and headed just a few minutes outside of town to watch God paint a master piece.

This is just the tail end of one of the most incredible sunsets I've ever seen. We talked about how God painted it just for us. We talked about how God formed the mountains the sun set behind.

We talked about how God gave us cows so we could have milk.

And we rolled the windows all the way down so we could smell the sweet corn and the cow manure too. We waved our hands out the windows and laughed and laughed at the wind blowing in our faces.
We watched farmers bring their crops in from the fields and talked about how God always provides plenty for us. And we turned the music up and sang worship songs as loud as we could to our creator. And I made a decision to get my eyes off myself and focus them instead on the author and perfecter of my faith. Who for the JOY set before him, endured the cross for me (Hebrews 12:2). Now that puts JOY in perspective. Jesus found JOY in enduring the cross for me. So I'm feeling much better and we might just take a little road trip to spend some time with Jesus again sometime very soon. It's good to be purposeful about spending time with the Lord and I don't think it always has to come in some traditional way. He can meet us where we are...doing laundry, mowing grass or driving down the road. It was so good to spend some time with Him tonight. Just what I needed!

P.S. Before I get lots of comments admonishing me not to take pictures while driving down the road you should know that I stopped or almost stopped for all those pictures! The only traffic we encountered were a few lightning bugs buzzing around us :)

7 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

i'm sorry all of these things are happening at once. i am glad though that you are drawing near to the Lord. best thing you can do. i'll be praying for you Judy...for these things going on around you. i appreciate your willingness to be REAL and allow us to see some of what's bothering you. we all are struggling in so many ways and we need to be reminded to draw near to HIM. what better way to model this to you kids than your drive! precious!

as for the plantar facitis...i have had that diagnosis before. could barely walk down the stairs in the morning...killed most of the day! also have flat feet. also wear flip flops too much. :) did you doctor suggest trying a boot to sleep in at night. it's a special one that they give you. it worked WONDERS for me. you may have already tried it but if you haven't maybe you could before the shots???

Alicia said...

Judy,

As always, your post speaks to some of my own feelings. I am actually taking a bible study on Joy right now, and even though I feel focused when I am there, I often lose it by the next morning.... you definitely have the right idea. Thanks for sharing.

Alicia

Anonymous said...

Judy

We don't know each other, but I have been friends with Zac since elementary school, therefore I met Ryan along the way. I found your blog through Zac and Julie's. In fact it was the day you had your daughter McKenna, and ironically my daughter's name is McKenna. My daughter, McKenna, was diagnosed with Molluscum and she too had it on her face. I found a homeopathic treatment online and had it checked out by my doctor, show said it was okay to use. I didn't ever have to use it but I thought I would pass the info along, I too felt bad when Kenna had them on her little face. The treatment was called ZymaDerm.

Spring McDaniel-Churchill

Katy said...

i'm glad beth beat me to the comments...i was going to tell you that she went through the same thing with her feet. she's a whole new woman now...but the flip flops will kill you for sure!!! SO sorry about the mold issue from storage - that is AWFUL!!! I wonder if the storage unit place has any liability in that? I'd be SO mad!!!! I'm glad you decided to give it to God and spend some time just being still and KNOWING that he is God! I love you my friend!

Christine said...

When you said you were getting frustrated over little things I expected to hear about toys on the floor or something like that. Those all seem pretty big to me. I'll be praying that God continues to give you His JOY.

Also, you are a great mom. What a wonderful idea to show your kids how important spending time with God is.

Courtney said...

thanks for sharing your HEART. helps me to know how to pray SPECIFICALLY for you! i'm so sorry for all that's going on. i hope you get some answers about your foot..that kind of thing can make you CRAZY! sounds like people have some good suggestions!

Jessica said...

Thank you for sharing this! You had me in tears and I really needed to hear this. : ) Your children are so blessed to have a mom like you. Makes me think of Psalm 103. "Bless the Lord, oh my soul and forget not all His benefits!"