Monday, June 15, 2009

Winds of Change

I can't believe I'm even writing this post, but here I am. The winds of change are blowing in our lives once again and to be honest, this time it's really hard. Some of you have been with us since the beginning. THIS was my very first blog post. Amy and her children had just moved to our town. The boys were still in diapers and slept in cribs. I was pregnant with McKenna and didn't even know yet that she was a girl. Abby wore size 24 month/ 2T clothes. Emma hadn't lost any of her front teeth yet and she had never been to school before. Nathan was still one and was very attached to his binkie. At that point our memories together mainly consisted of visits to Grandmom and PopPop's house and the occasional birthday party or Christmas celebration. We had never gone to the pumpkin patch together or gone apple picking. I didn't even know where a good strawberry patch was and I had only been to the local playground a handful of times. I knew nothing about the school system, or dentist visits, or daycare. We hadn't spent hours together in our pjs. The nurses and doctors at the pediatrician's office did NOT know me by my first name. And my house ((sigh)) my house was perfect. I didn't have any stains on my couch or my carpet and there were no marks on my walls. My kitchen floor had never been written on and no one had ever put any objects in my toilet. Back then hair had never been hidden behind the toilet because a certain four year old girl decided to give herself a make-over. I didn't know that Abby loved salad and Nathan loves to have his back rubbed as he falls asleep. I didn't know that Emma would hate praticing her math facts or that she would one day make up a game called "doggies" that would be played by everyone (not me of course) for months and months and months.


My how times have changed. Everyone has grown up a lot in the last two years, including me. I honestly don't know who has changed the most. I remember being so worried about the fact that Christian wouldn't talk and now he's rarely quiet. I remember being worried that something would be wrong with McKenna when she was born because I was so stressed out. I remember having to hold Abby down every morning as she screamed and cried for her mommy not to leave and go to work (oh that was hard, but I think she likes me now :). I remember putting Emma on the school bus for the first time and following her all the way to school only to find out that she was just fine! And I remember Nate...he could have easily spent the whole day in my lap just so he could pull my ear. McKenna reminds me so much of how he was as a little guy (minus the ear pulling part). My heart and mind are so full of memories from these last two years. Some great things, some very hard things and a very consistent Heavenly Father who was with us every step of the way. I could share story after story of His provision and guidance, but I'll save that for another post.


Our sweet dear cousins who I love with all my heart are moving. Yup, you read that correctly. Amy, Emma, Abby and Nathan are moving to a different part of our state very, very soon. They'll be about three hours away from us. Technically I have about a week left with these precious children and ... oh my heart. There just aren't words. It's going to be hard. Very hard. Not just for me, because there is that small part of me (if I'm being honest) that finally feels like I can take a deep breath for the first time in a very long time. But for my Christian boy. He knows they're moving but doesn't understand how far away they really will be. They are such a HUGE part of his life. They are like siblings to him. And McKenna has no idea what life is like without them. She adores Emma practically as much as she likes me. And Abby is such a good big sister to McKenna. Those girls love her so much. And Nathan - my sweet Nathan boy chooses to stay inside and play with McKenna all the time instead of going out with Abby and Chrish. We have become a family unit and I've figured out how to do this 5 kid thing. Two is going to be a piece of cake (I'm sure I'll be eating those words in a matter of days :) And I'm sad. Just plain sad. I'm trying to be upbeat because all the little hearts involved are sad and nervous too.


So I'm sure you're wanting all the details, but really they're not mine to give. Amy recently introduced everyone to her boyfriend, Rob on her blog. You can head on over there to meet him. Their relationship has gotten quite serious and so Amy is going to move to be closer to Rob so that they can get to know each other better and so the children can get to know Rob and his girls. Amy and Rob will be living a few miles apart and I think Amy and the kids are very excited about having a more spacious place to live! Emma is nervous about school, but she makes friends so easily I'm positive that she'll be fine!! Abby and Nate seem to be pretty excited about the move. Christian is NOT excited at all, bless his heart.

So this next week is probably going to be an emotional one for me, but thankfully it's VBS week so I'm going to be pretty distracted. Hopefully we'll get to make a bunch of great memories this week. Don't worry, I'll be sharing it all. This blog is going to become an absolute bore in about a week. Our adventures will certainly pale in comparison to the ones we've had in the past. I know that some of you check out my blog just to get updates on the Marshall kids and to see their sweet faces. They will be visiting through out the summer, so they'll pop up every now and then but I think we're all going to have to start petitioning Amy to blog more :) I think she's going to have more time now, so we should be seeing lots of updates from her ((hint-hint)).

So that's the latest. Our lives are about to change in a major way and I don't like it, but I know that this is just an opportunity to trust that God knows exactly what is best for each one of us. I'm praying that Jesus will fill the void in Christian's life once they're gone. I'm praying that God will give Emma a spirit of "power and might" and not one of fear. I'm praying that God will guard Nathan's precious, tender heart. I'm praying that Abby will keep her spunk and always have JOY in her heart. I'm praying for wisdom and clarity for Amy and all the decisions she has to make. And I'm praying that I won't grieve their absence for too long. That this weeping will only remain for a night and that joy will come in the morning.

Would you please pray for us this week? It's a bittersweet time in our lives.

11 comments:

Brennan Blog said...

Oh judy-My heart hurts for you.....I know you all will be fine but I dislike change too....Now that you will be bored, come to Har Co and we can get together! :)

Anonymous said...

Judy,
What precious memories you have given to Christian, McKenna, Emma, Abby and Nate. You are an amazing mother, sister, and aunt...and friend!

You openend your home and your heart when Amy needed it most. You have enveloped her children with the Father's love and given them such wonderful memories.

You sacrificed your own personal family time to share your time and energies with Emma, Abby and Nate. You have afforded them the opportunity to feel secure, loved and welcomed no matter the cost to you.

It was difficult for all of us who love Amy and the kids so much to see them move to PA, but we didn't lose them...we gained a new family to love...I personally gained a new friend - YOU! You have even opened your home to us...I am personally grateful for your kindness.

Thank you for giving so generously, lovingly and willingly. As Amy and the kids move away, you will not loose them but you will gain new family and friends just as I have. They are taking with them sweet memories and the confidence that they will be okay.

I will be praying for a smooth transition for everyone! Give Chrish a big hug (and a few tickles for me).

-Laurie

Millicent said...

Awwww...what a sad time for all of you, but i'm sure exciting for the Marshall's at the same time! I cast a vote for Rob to move :)

Jenn W. said...

Okay, now that I am crying because I can't imagine not seeing my little Emma next year :( As mature as she was when she came to me in first grade, she far exceeds that now and I know she will be fine at her new school. I envy her new teacher because she is facing a whole new year with the little one that I no longer have. I hope too that Amy keeps up with her blog! Thanks for the update!

Christine said...

I'm crying for you all as I write this Judy. What a sad time in all of your lives. I remember moving very often when I was younger and the mixture of fear and excitement that comes along with it. I've almost always been the one to leave and very rarely been the one that is left, but I know that both hurt and I will be praying for all of you.

Katy said...

oh judy. so much to say, and i can't because my kids are all up now. i'll be praying and will email you later on tonight. i love you!

heatherlm said...

Wow! We had no idea she was moving! I second the motion for Rob to move closer...lol. I love the fact that you blog so much and keep us up to date on our nieces and nephew but I also look forward to seeing what your two little ones are up to. Amy BETTER start blogging more often! Amy is so lucky to have a sister like you! I know they are all going to miss you like crazy.~Love,Heather

anthonyandbeth said...

wow Judy. I'll be praying for you this week. for all of you

Jenn said...

judy, i cried through that whole blog.
i want to say thank you for stepping up and being such a huge blessing to those children and to amy. you have opened not only your heart, but your house, and all your time to loving and caring for all those kiddos. what a great impact you have made on them these past 2 years. i can't believe that it has been that long looking back on all the fond memories. it is definitely sad that they will be further away now...but that just can give you just reason to go visit! it has been a blessing to me as well gain another friend from visiting both amy and you :)
i'll be praying for you for smooth transitions through this week and the weeks to come. i love you so much <3

Heidi said...

what a tough time for everyone! You all will be in my prayers these next few weeks as you transition. If Christian is lonely give us a call, my boys would love to hang out!!

the mccollums... said...

WOW Judy...so much change happening everywhere these days. 2 hours isn't too bad...yes, a major change for you and for everyone...what a precious time that this has been for everyone...they needed you most and somehow I think they will always know that their Auntie Judy will ALWAYS be there for them.