Monday, June 8, 2009

The girl at the "beach"

We made an unlikely friend when we were at the "beach" on Sunday and I can't seem to get her out of my mind. I've even shed a few tears over her, which isn't unusual for me these days. I really do try to live my life without any regrets but lately I find myself having lots of regrets. Which is good....it's like I've come to this place where I am no longer content with the way I've been living and I want to do better. Anyone know what I mean?

Anyway, this little girl (no pictures because I really do try not to take random pictures of other people's kids :) was probably about 6 or 7 and she couldn't speak. She grunted, growled and made lots of other unnerving noises. She kind of latched onto our family and started playing with our toys. I tried to assess the situation to figure out if she could possibly be deaf, but I don't think she was because she didn't respond to any of the very few signs that I knew. I have a feeling she was probably severely autistic based on some of her behaviors. She was very physically aggressive with the boys and McKenna, taking things from them and growling at them when they didn't do what she wanted. And after about 10 minutes of this I was getting a little annoyed. For heaven's sake where were her parents? I asked her and she couldn't tell me. And for two hours no one claimed her. No one but us even talked to her. At first I wanted her to find another spot to play. I just wanted to sit and enjoy the sunshine and enjoy the kids, but very clearly the thought came to me "the least of these....whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." And I know that that was God speaking to me. No doubt!

And so for over two hours she became ours. I hopped up out of my chair every other minute to look at the hole she proudly dug. She just wanted someone to be proud of her. And I responded every time she tapped on my shoulder and I tried to understand as she waved her arms in the air. I told her how much I loved her Dora bathing suit. And I talked to the boys about how we need to love people who are different, but that you can say "no" when she tries to take your stuff :) Ryan and I kept an eye on her as she swam around in the water and I felt something I have never felt before. Scorn. The scorn of other people who thought she belonged to us. I felt their eyes looking at me wondering why I couldn't keep her noises down. I know they were wondering why I didn't correct her for being so obnoxious. And this terrible little part of me wanted to explain "oh, she's not mine." But then when it was time for us to leave I found myself wanting to take her home. Oh sure, she would turn our little world upside down. But she had no advocate. No one was taking care of her. No one claimed her. Who takes their child to the beach and leaves them? I'm sure someone was there with her, but quite obviously they didn't care. I asked several people if she was theirs and I always got "a look." Ryan was scanning the beach looking for anyone who was paying attention to her and there was no one. We discussed what we should do and we ended up saying goodbye to her and we left.

Regret! I regret that. We should have found a park ranger or someone to make sure she was okay. And so I've been worrying about her. Who is making sure she's okay today? I know there are so many "least of these" children out there, but what does that have to do with me? What is my responsibility? I'm wrestling with that tonight...


Matthew 25:31
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.
All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

4 comments:

Lori said...

I totally understand what you are saying. We get those "looks" too when I am out with Kailey and Jake. I often find myself saying to her, "your mommy" just so people know that she isn't mine...that is so terrible...I know...and now, I will do better and looking the other way to people's looks...they are just looks.

You are truly the most selfless and the most giving person I have ever met in my life!!!! You have taught me a lot in the short time that I have known you, just my standing back and watching and listening (and reading)

You are definitely storing up those treasures!!!

Courtney said...

wow, judy! i love how you let Him speak to you...and then ACT on it!

Jackie said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR LOVING HER FOR THE TIME YOU WERE WITH HER AT THE BEACH! This is so sad, and I am so thankful that this little girl had someone like you watching her and interacting with her and loving her for a few hours at the beach. I love autistic kids, and it just hurts me to the core to think about one getting ignored and left to her own devices for a few hours. Thanks for being God's hands and feet!

the mccollums... said...

i don't know how I missed this story either..or why its just this morning that I read it and am able to comment. WOW...I know this was heavy for you. It reminded me of a sermon podcast that I was listening to the other day. The pastor was talking about the miracle of feeding the 5,000 and how the disciples didn't really know what was happening, they just obeyed walking around giving out bread piece by piece. The pastor said (I paraphrase)...what if our part in living out the miracles of God here on earth is not something dramatic or HUGE but giving out bread...piece, by piece, day by day...doing small things each day for the Kingdom. Jude--2 hours with this precious girl (that God created in his image) was you bringing the Kingdom of God to her...loving her and accepting her. Awesome! Sorry this is like the longest comment in blog history, but it was on my heart!!! XOXOX