Saturday, March 14, 2009

Motherhood is NEVER dull!

Last night was quite a night for McKenna. She spiked a fever of 104.0 for about three hours. It was a little scary for Ryan and I. She was lethargic and was just staring at me, not really responding much. We talked to the doctor on call and she said to give it one more hour and if we couldn't get her fever under control we had to take her to the hospital. So we prayed, had other people praying, and gave her Tylenol and Motrin and striped her down to just a onesie. She finally fell asleep and her fever broke about an hour and a half later. She was soaked from sweating so much. Ryan went to change her pillowcase because it was wet and we realized that she had soaked through the entire pillow. We set an alarm to go off every three hours in our room and we both pretty much got up to give her medicine and to check on her all throughout the night. Thankfully she seems to be much better today and has now had three doses of her antibiotic. She continues to have a low degree fever every time the medication starts to wear off, so we're just keeping it in her system at this point. Thankfully I was never too worried because we knew exactly what was causing the fever - strep. It would have been a lot more concerning if we didn't know what was causing the fever.


Christian on the other hand is feeling great, slept great and has been delightful today! He changing so much lately! He asks about letters and numbers all the time. He is starting to get the concept of addition. He knows his right and left and knows his birthday, where he lives, parent's names, age and a bunch of other stuff. I haven't worked on his address or phone number because that could be changing pretty soon! Christian also used to be very entertained by TV shows and now he's over it. I guess Caillou and Handy Manny just aren't that interesting anymore. Now he likes real movies, the problem is that we don't own real movies. We've got a few Veggie Tales, but no real movies other than Disney's Cars. So we borrowed movies from our cousins and Christian is in love with this movie. He would watch it all day if I would let him. He told me he likes it because it's an "adventure story." So I guess we're going to have to invest in some real movies. Let me know if you have any recommendations. I'm pretty picky even about Disney stuff. Like I hate that scary boy in Toy Story. And the witch in Snow White is NOT okay with me. And the Little Mermaid is totally disobedient to her father! I guess I could pick apart every movie, but we do love Cars and now Tarzan and Christian did like Finding Nemo (once again disobedient to his father, but I guess it's a good lesson learned) at one point! I was thinking that maybe Bugs Life might be good, but I haven't seen it in forever. What about Madagascar and all the movies that go with it? Has anyone ever seen any of the Greatest Heros and Legends of the Bible DVD's? Or any good Bible story DVDs? Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say!

7 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

Have you seen the Auto Be Good movie line at the Christian bookstores? Very cute stories for boys... talking cars... along the lines of CARS movie but Christan. He would like it alot. My boys loved it.
What about Toy Story 2--- the first one is awful but the 2nd one we loved!Dumbo and Bambi and Jungle Book, Also Adventures in Oddessy videos and Hermie.I will look through some of our other ones to see if there are any I missed.

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Does your library have DVD's and tapes to borrow? When my daughter was younger and even now, we just check some out from the library. A lot cheaper than buying all of them.

Lori said...

Madagascar movies are rated PG, I think...I know we went to see it with Jake before we realized it (duh) and there is some adult humor in them. (at least in Madagascar 2)

I agree, some Disney movies just are not appropriate.

Poor McKenna!!! I hope she is feeling better soon!!! And you get some rest!!

Lori said...

Oh, and the Waynesboro Library has some good movies to rent!! We also do Red Box...they are only a buck!

Brennan Blog said...

J loves Wall-E! He gets scared of movies like Little MErmaid (Ursala) and the creepy witch in snow White....

RSchuurman said...

I agree with whoever recommended Wall*E. My kids love it! We also just went to see The Tale of Despereaux and will definitely be getting it when it comes out on DVD. It had a great message!! Josh really likes Go Diego Go and The Incredibles. If you ever want to borrow something to see it first, just let me know. We've got tons of kids movies! ^_^

Anonymous said...

Judy, one thing that I do with high fevers (you might already be doing this) is wipe them done with a cold washcloth. It's hard because they cry, but it does seem to help. Movie wise we have Horton Hears a Who and the kids love it. Curious George is cute. We also have Cars and Lady and the Tramp. We're pretty picky about what the kids watch. Please watch any of my recommendations first if want, because my kids are a little older than Christian. Anna :)