Thursday, March 12, 2009

Frustrated

I was so hopeful back in January when McKenna got tubes in her ears. I really thought that it would be the beginning of a healthy life for McKenna. I didn't doubt for a second that it was the right decision, that is until yesterday. McKenna has been fussy, fussy, fussy for about four days so I finally took her to the pediatrician yesterday only to find out that she has a really, really bad ear infection. So they put her on antibiotic ear drops. Apparently that's what they do when you have an ear infection with tubes in your ears. Well, every time I put the drops in McKenna's ear she screams. Seriously screams and screams and screams. It's awful. It must really hurt. Then today she started with a fever of 102.5 it's consistently that high unless she has Tylenol. So now what??? What do I do? Go back to the doctor? Demand an oral antibiotic too? Wait it out? I'm hoping that there is a mom out there who read this blog who has had kids with tubes who have gotten ear infections with them. If so - give me some feedback! And please pray that my baby will be able to sleep tonight! Last night was awful (Ryan ended up on the couch & McKenna got his spot in bed).

7 comments:

Millicent said...

girl, I told you this before. Natalie had the chronic ear infections and they still didn't clear up after tubes. The only thing that worked for her was going to the chiropractor.
I'll see if I can think of anything else that might would help.
go to www.welltellme.com and do a search to see what you find on the topic.
I'll definitely be praying!

Millicent said...

oh, and my niece had a few sets of tubes with no results...she still goes to the chiro at 8. this was what helped her ears :)

Heather said...

wow...I hope last night was better

the mccollums... said...

You know I am no mommy...but I have heard too that chiropractic care helps tremendously as well. You can contact my friend Danae (bunsobunch blog on my site) her little guy was constantly on antibiotics and when they took him for adjustments his sickness went away.
Also what about an ENT doctor...maybe you already tried that?
I'm not a big fan of doctors constantly giving antibiotics. My sis in law has had so much trouble with her girls too but they inherited my brother's sinus structure and so they have eventually needed reconstructive surgery on their sinuses. I don't think that would be the case with McKenna but maybe start with chiropractic care. Sorry, lady...will be praying for you today.

Anonymous said...

So sorry that little McKenna is sick. I hope that Ellie didn't share her germs yesterday and make things worse! The doctor told us that Ellie just had a chest cold and was on the mend, so no need for antibiotics. Then we went out to eat at Red Lobster and she threw up all over the table. Nice, huh??? I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge about tubes and ear infections, but we will be praying for McKenna (and for you to get some sleep). Hang in there.

The Marklund's said...

I don't have advice for you, but I was reading the comment from "the*4*ofus" and if you have hesitations about the chiropractor, you shouldn't. Sophie has already been 3 times (for colic). As long as you find a chiro who has been trained in pediatrics, they will have the right, gentle techniques to help. It's not the same as an adult adjustment. :) Just a bit of encourgment there.

Anonymous said...

Judy, I don't have any experience with tubes, just wanted to send (((hugs))) to you guys and to let you know I'm praying. Anna