Friday, March 18, 2011

My night owl

After a glorious night of just 2 hours of sleep, I decided that today we would begin "baby boot camp." Baby Boot Camp is when the mommy is in charge, not the baby. It's a little bit miserable for everyone, but I'm hopeful for great results. The rules of boot camp include; 1. You must stay awake in between feedings at least for alittle while! 2. You don't get to eat whenever you feel like it! Mommy sets the schedule! 3. You will not be held 24/7! You will take your naps with no one holding you! 4. Crying is permitted. Sounds reasonable doesn't it? I really can't complain! We've had our sweet little Will for 8 nights now and only 2 of those nights have been bad. Six out of eight have been rather pleasant! But last night just about did me in and I have to remember that Ryan will be going back to work very soon, and my mom can't live with us forever. One of these days I'm going to be expected to take care of all three of my kids instead of just this one little man, so it's time to work on a few things. Christian sucked his thumb. McKenna adored her binkie. And Will loves nothing! I should rephrase that; Will loves nursing. I hardly know what to do with a boy who doesn't have a thumb or a binkie to fall back on. I think it makes him a little more restless. But he's a great little eater and would eat every 15 minutes if I would let him. I have a feeling he's probably back up to his birth weight by now. Okay, that's it for the update. Will is actually asleep, so I'm going to do the same thing. Once again I'm so thankful for a sweet friend who has already dropped off dinner. It's extremely humbling to accept so much help, from so many different people. Honestly, I find it to be rather uncomfortable. I'd prefer not to have this "c-section vaction" and I'd like to be able to take care of everything myself. But I can't. I literally can't which is frustrating, but it's also a good lesson in humility for me :)

6 comments:

Millicent said...

awww...I hope boot camp goes well :) Now you know how I feel :P

Katy said...

keep at it - make him eat a full feeding, so that he doesn't just snack....and YES - keep him awake after he eats...we had to resort to wet washcloths at times to get him AWAKE!!! it's all worth it - you've read Babywise right? used it with all 4 of mine and i SWEAR by it!!!

Sarah Joy said...

C-section vacation! Made me laugh... why can't we live near each other so we can sit in the same room and recover together!!!!? Oh that is right because my son has lice and I wouldn't be allowed over anyway!
It really is humbling Judy. I just posted about how humbling it is on my blog, I am having to have so much help it is insane. Surrender is my word right now. Surrender. I am constantly learning and growing and Christ is so good and faithful and the people who brings in our lives to help us are there for a reason. It is an unbelievable ride sometimes! I still wish I was strapped in next door to you for it and not across blog-land. Love you-

Sarah Joy said...

BTW- Babywise was awesome, used for all 3 of our boys and the twins I nannied but SW wanted nothing to do with it. Much harder nut to crack no matter how consistent I was. He was a thumb sucker and a huge nurser!!! Would want to cluster feed in those early days and he lost weight a lot due to his allergies so I had to feed him more often but you for certain have to stick to it and START NOW! Don't wait and let habits form that have to be broken, that is never fun.

the mccollums... said...

Jude--thinking of you while I nurse every 3 hours...FINALLY! Oh, man, I have BabyWise and a friend who I refer to as my "mommy coach" to help me along with scheduling...I'm so stressed by it all. ha ha. I'm sure it is so nice to know how and what to expect with "baby bootcamp" with your 3rd, as opposed to fumbling through it all with your 1st like I'm doing. :) Love you..Will looks like such a sweetie!

Heidi said...

I'm a huge believer in babywise! Hope baby boot camp goes well!