Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lunch Date

It occured to me this week that the school year is coming to an end for Emma and we had only gone to have lunch with her once this entire year. Yikes! Not so good considering how much she loves to have us come visit. So Christian, McKenna and I headed to her school to surprise her today. Anytime we go have lunch with Emma will be a surprise because I could just see me telling her that we're going to come and then she wouldn't pack a lunch and then somebody would throw up or something that morning and we wouldn't be able to go and she would be stuck wondering where we were. So, I've decided, that I'm never going to tell her ahead of time


She was surprised to see us and we even got there in time to head out to the playground with her class. McKenna was once again the center of attention, although this picture doesn't really show the vast crowd she drew. Kids are so funny. There is no such thing as personal space with them. I can't even begin to count how many times I said, "Please don't touch her face." "Please don't hold her hands, I don't want her to get any germs." And I also found myself saying "thank you " over and over again to all these cutie pie kids tell me how much they liked my baby! Pure entertainment is what that playground is! I think they also thought I was some sort of substitute because I helped someone zip their coat, I button another girls sweater, looked at a scrape on some one's ankle and settled a dispute about somebody pushing someone else. Ha! And we were only on the playground for 15 minutes.
Here's Em with one of her best friends, Anessa. They are good friends from church and they get to see each other at recess too! Emma and Anessa did a great job of watching out for Christian. They stuck with him the entire time they were outside. I think it was a little overwhelming for Christian to be around that many kids (I think the whole 2nd grade and a few first graders too, were on the playground) but it was good for him. He needs to have that experience as he begins to adjust to the idea of going to school one day.


Now this is funny! Seriously, I can't believe it!

Christian walked upstairs with Emma because he was curious about what her classroom looked like. I stayed downstairs b/c I had McKenna in the stroller. We were standing by this picture of all the teachers and students in Emma's school and McKenna starts pointing and saying something that sounded like "Mama" but now I think she was saying "Emma." I pushed her closer to the picture and she put her finger right on Em's picture. Hello, there's like 300 people in that picture and she spotted Emma that fast! I had been standing there looking at it and I never did see Em.

So there she is, right on the bottom (I guess it helped that McKenna was eye level with it) right next to her buddy Ella!

It was a fun way to spend our morning! My goal is to make two more lunch appearances before the end of the school year. One in May and one in June! I'll keep you posted!


3 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

Lunch dates at school what fun!You are such a great Auntie!

Katy said...

look at how smart miss mckenna is! i think it's a great idea to make it a monthly tradition! since josiah is in 1/2 day kindergarten, we've already talked about how 1st graders eat lunch at school. he thinks it will be great for us to come visit him at lunch - we'll see how much of a spectacle we become! :)

Jessica said...

Found you through Kelly! What a fun blog!