Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Screen Slayer

Remember when the boys got these cute sets of armor for Christmas?

I'll admit, I was a little worried about having two three year olds in my house with swords. But it's really been fine.

For almost six months there have been no incidents. No injuries and no rules have been created to tame the swords. We've just had two knights busy saving Princess Abby or Princess McKenna and it's been great.

Until now! Can you tell what this is a picture of? It's a huge hole in the screen in Christian's window. Apparently he decided to slay the screen. And of course this screen has very strange measurements so you can't just go to Lowe's and buy another one. You can order one for an outrageous amount of money or you can fix it yourself. I have no idea how to "re-screen" a screen, but I now am the proud owner of a roll of screen, some fancy little tool you use to push the screen down in the crack around the edge and some black "piping" stuff (that's not really what it's called) that will hold the screen in place. That man at Lowes made it look so easy, but now I'm having doubts, so I'm going to procrastinate and put that project off until next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

5 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

You can do it Judy, we had to do it once and it isn't too hard. Swords, light sabers, guns... oh the things that get wacked at around the house with boys!

Heidi said...

The hardware store by our house rescreens (if that's what you call it) at a very reasonable price. Our large patio screen door was $25 to be rescreened. So a window would be cheaper! Just thought I would tell you in case you wanted to save yourself some time and headache. :)

Jenn W. said...

Jamie and our neighbor made all of the screens in our house, so let me know if you need help and I'm sure there is something they could do!

Heidi said...

Judy, we'll plan a play date for when you get back and the hardware store is about a block from our house! You will be in my prayers tomorrow as you travel!

Katy said...

uh-oh - hope the rescreening went well. I had no idea you could even do that!!!