Friday, May 8, 2009

A Fruity Update

Our fruit of the spirit lesson have been going well this week. We've had to change some things around, but they really are learning Galations 5:22 & 23
At least now I can quietly remind them that I "need to see the fruit of the spirit" and I usually get some looks like these ^.

They've been practicing JOY

And they've been cleaning up to show GOODNESS

And then there's LOVE

More GOODNESS

And we even added a few things to the lesson plan. This was the kids getting ready for the lemon toss. I know it sound ridiculous, but they now ask if they can play the lemon game all the time. Sometimes it's the silliest things that they love.

The lemon toss was supposed to be a fun game with a fruit theme, but it ended up being a great way to put the fruit of the spirit into practice. I only had two lemons, so one person always got left out. Can you guess who didn't get a lemon in this picture?
You guessed it, Nate. And Christian also had a melt down whenever he didn't catch a lemon, but he would run out of the room screaming and crying. But we didn't quit the game, even though I was NOT having fun, we worked through it and were able to learn PATIENCE and Abby even showed a little KINDNESS by letting the boys catch the lemons when she could have easily gotten them herself.

Then we had a fruit obstacle course. They had to ride on baby cars, go through a tunnel and jump on lily pads (couch cushions) all while holding onto a pot of fruit. It was silly, but they loved it!
I guess the part I've enjoyed the most about this week is the fact that I can say the phrase "fruit of the spirit" and they know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm finding myself saying stuff like "Christian are you using the fruit of the spirit when you're playing with McKenna?" I think it's a good thing to just remind them of God's word, instead of constantly fussing for them to be kind or gentle.


2 comments:

Courtney said...

keep sharing!!! i'm loving reading about this!

Katy said...

That's awesome Judy - I totally agree! Anytime we can directly talk about Scripture with our kids, it is getting into their heads and hearts so much better!!! How GREAT is that!