Sunday, May 3, 2009

Big News!

Well, this news probably isn't going to change your life, but it's changing mine and my emotions are a bit of a rollercoaster everytime I let myself dwell on this for too long. I'm sure I'll be crying by the end of this post, so bare with me. I should also probably immediately say that:

1. We DID NOT sell our house.
2. I am NOT having a baby.
Now that we've cleared that up let's move on...
One random day last week, Bobby the Bear showed up at our house. It was the strangest thing. Em was doing homework after school. McKenna was playing in the living room while Christian was watching TV. There was a knock on the front window and Bobby was there.

Now if you're an avid blog reader and pay attention to all the little details of our lives you know that Bobby the Bear lives a long way away and he has never just shown up at our house unannounced. This was a first.
Usually Bobby shows up here ^ at PopPop and Grandmom's house two hours away. But last week he traveled to see us on a very important and secret mission.


Thankfully PopPop and Grandmom came along with Bobby and Emma began to wrestle PopPop to the ground immmediately and you'll notice the McKenna wasn't far behind.

---------------
I know, you're still wondering what the big news is aren't you? It's coming!

-----------------
McKenna was happy to play babies with Grandmom.



And Emma was thrilled to see her grandparents until Grandmom starting drilling Emma on her math facts (one of Emma's great hates in this world but definitely one of her weaknesses).

Okay...back to Bobby! This ^ is Bobby's home, my childhood home. This picture was taken in the early 80s. That's my brother and I on the front steps. My parents have lived in this home for over 35 years.

They bought the house, not because they loved it, but because they loved the 8 acre yard. This picture was taken in the 70s before they started major construction on the house. They took this yucky little house that was built in the 1800s and turned it into.....this beautiful home where I grew up. I love this house. I love every tree in the yard. I know where every rock is on the 5 acres that need to be mowed because I've mowed them so many times myself. I love to bring my children here to explore the woods and learn more about God's creation.

It's a fun, fun place. But it's also a tremendous amount of work. I know my parent's would love to sit on the front porch or their back porch or their beautiful new deck and just enjoy their home, but that doesn't happen too often. They usually have too much work to do.

So Bobby came for a visit because he's looking for a new home close to our house. Grandmom and PopPop just put their house on the market and they are planning to move to our area, if their house sells. So we're not the only one's with our house on the market, my parent's have their house on the market too, and my brother Tim's rental is on the market too. Whew...I hope we all don't have to move at once. You might think that I'm thrilled to pieces that my parent's will be living close by and honestly I haven't gotten there yet. I'm still just sad that they're selling their house. I know it's the right choice for them, no doubt, but it's sad. So lots of changes are going on in our family. Even more that I'll blog about at another time. I'm not so good with change. I just like for things to stay the same, so having a little boy who's going to turn four soon, and my parent's selling my childhood home and a bunch of other stuff is making me rather emotional these days.

6 comments:

Millicent said...

Oh girl, change is so hard! But you guys are going to have so much fun if this plan works out! Maybe you'll be blessed with a home of your own that is just as great as your childhood home, and then your kids will have some of their own great memories like you do!

Lori said...

1st...I think it is so awesome that you grew up in one home...that is so special and I'm sure that is why you are so grounded and "rooted"...

2nd...I can understand the sadness...it's also a part of you and the recognition that your parents are getting older and really just don't want all the work of keeping up with 8 acres...I can't even imagine having 8 acres!

3rd...What a GREAT and AWESOME opportunity for all of the grandkids to have their grandparents so close! I am sure that it will be great for all of you!!!

Sarah Joy said...

I am crying too! Oh the memories we have there and the fondness that is in my heart. Your parents house is like an anchor in my life, I can't believe they are selling it!~ I am happy for the joy they will have in living near you and Amy and maybe Tim? I love having Mom near us and it is such joy to her and my boys!

Katy said...

i remember driving to that house to tell you that david and i had just gotten engaged and showing you my ring! Believe me - i'm with you on the "not liking change" thign...it's just plain hard. But the end result will all be worth it - and you'll always have those memories for sure!

Heather said...

I can certainly understand being sad about your parents selling your childhood home. But I am thrilled at the thought of your parents living closer to you...you will love it!

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog dad said, "O my goodness, what are we doing?" We get emotional about this move, but at the same time have to keep reminding ourselves that it is necessary. We have prayerfully considered this for several years and know that moving now is in God's timing for us.

Dad always says he'll be sitting in the driveway crying his eyes out on moving day and I think he will have plenty of company. However, we both have great peace about our decision. Now we just need someone special to buy our home.
Love, Grandmom