Monday, February 23, 2009

Well, this is a 1st

I'm feeling just a bit flustered. I got my phone bill today and there was a random charge of $19.96 on it. So I called our phone company and they told me that we had signed up with a third party company called Enhanced Long Distance for a long distance plan of 2 cents a minute. Why would I do that if I already pay one fee for unlimited long distance through my phone company? My phone company said they couldn't help me that I had to contact this other company. So I called them and they told me that Ryan has signed up for this plan online when he was filling out a survey to win free groceries. Hmmm...that doesn't sound like Ryan at all. He would never fill out anything on line with our info especially to win free groceries. I assured them that he would NEVER do that and they argued with me and told me that they had is full name, address and phone number. Hello??? Anyone could have that. So I asked what other info they had. They told me they also had a valid email, mother's maiden name and birth date. I told them to tell me the email address, maiden name and birthday and all of those were WRONG! We had been scammed. Then they wanted me to give them the correct information. Are you kidding me? No way! This is the first time we've ever had any kind of fraud situation. I never would have expected to have it on my phone bill, but I guess the lesson learned is pay attention to every single bill. Now I'm going to call my phone company and tell them to block all charges from that company!

4 comments:

the mccollums... said...

thats CRAZY!!! WOW. Its actually funny that they had the mother's maiden name, etc. wrong especially when that info is used to legitimize someone's information. Weird. Glad you caught it and I hope that it gets fixed.

The Marklund's said...

what the? people are crazy. what kind of world has this become? good thing you saw that!

Sarah Joy said...

That is insane! I hope you get it all worked out and quickly. I can see Ryan now sitting down to use his spare time to fill out a grocery survery, like he takes all five kids to do the shopping!got to laugh!

Katy said...

this is where it pays to pay attention! unbelieve what crazy people will do!