Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Nate's FIRST Dentist Visit

See Nate's middle tooth on the left? Well, it's turning a little gray. None of us have any idea when he fell on it, so we'll just blame it on daycare :) So today Nate got to go to the dentist to have it looked at. I can only think of one word to describe our visit: DRAMA!!!!!
This is Nate's attempt at hiding under the dental chair. They needed to get an x-ray of the tooth and he WOULD NOT COOPERATE! He bit me and the dentist and the hygienist. I ended up holding him on my lap in the chair with that lead blanket over both of us and we were completely unsuccessful in getting a decent x-ray. So they referred us to a pediatric dentist.
Then we headed over to Abby's hygienist who is like the kindergarten teacher of hygienists. She gave Abby a glove to blow up and be silly with (and her gloves even smell like grape)! She put Diego on the TV monitor in her office. And she thought it was ridiculous that they had referred Nate to another dentist. So we tried again and 25 minutes later we had the x-ray we needed. Just to humor you I'll tell you that I've never been bitten so hard in my entire life, there were four hygienists involved, over 25 minutes of bribes, tricks, sweet talking and distractions and he pretty much almost threw up. Can you imagine what he'll be like if he ever gets a cavity? Heaven help us!!! I hate it that his first dentist experience was that bad. I hope he's not scared for life.
In the end we found out that the tooth either has to go (sounds fun doesn't it??) or he needs a root canal. Thankfully they'll give him a little "happy juice" and he shouldn't remember a thing, but I informed Amy that his next visit will not involve Auntie Judy. We arrived at the office at 9:30am and didn't leave until 11:45. Good grief!
Nate would not smile for a picture but he was rather interested in his new Sponge Bob toothbrush. I think he was shocked that I let him have it since we don't watch Sponge Bob in our house! So in the end he was thrilled that he got to take home a little contraband! And he's never been so happy to get in the car and head home.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Don't worry....next time, I'm all over it!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Nate...and poor Auntie Judy. What a traumatic morning for you both! Robert was terrible as a little guy at our dentist...and she's a pedi dentist that specialized in autistic children...so she has a ton of paitence. But he bit her at least three time and threw up on her once. I am thankful she's as sweet as she is...he still sees her today! It's time to move to the adult dentist in the practice I guess.

- Laurie

Heidi said...

Oh Judy what a trip! I think you deserve some sort of a big reward for that one too! Did you have all of the kids?

Christine said...

Well that's fun. :) Has Christian had his first visit yet? If not then I guess the bright side is you may be able to glean some wisdom for his visit. Maybe.

Question: Why can't they just wait for the tooth to fall out?

Anonymous said...

I wondered about just waiting for the tooth to fall out also. Will it get infected if they leave it alone?

I'm glad your thumb is better.

I've never liked going to the dentis. Even to this day I get nervous about it. I wonder if I had some traumatic experience as a child?
Grandmom