Saturday, March 6, 2010

This is the HUGE thing...

This is my childhood home. My parents have lived there for 38 years and it has always brought me comfort to be able to go "home."
The house started out looking like this (that's my brother and I on the front porch).
Then it looked like this.
And today it looks like this!
My parents have poured themselves into this house and the seven acres surrounding it for the last 38 years. And I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I spent mowing grass, picking up sticks or walnuts, and helping with various projects around the house. I know every rock and every tree on that property. And it has brought such joy to my heart to be able to take my children "home" to play and explore.

Today moving trucks pulled up the driveway and packed up the last of my parent's belongings.
They are moving and we are saying "goodbye."

Except that I haven't even gotten to go say "goodbye" because of all my sick kids (that now includes McKenna), and that makes me so sad.

This is a hard day for all of us.

My parents do have a beautiful new home picked out. It's a rancher that will require a lot less maintenance. It has a gorgeous mountain view with sunsets that will take your breath away. And the best part, is that it's only 20 minutes from me :)

I am thrilled to finally have family living close again. And that also means I'll probably get to see all the cousins on my side of the family a lot more too!

My parents will be moving in with us for awhile until they get things settled with their new house sometime in late April. Yahoo....live-in babysitters!

So today is bittersweet.

I just can't think about it too much or I will end up sobbing.

I just keep reminding myself that "treasures" here on earth are just going to rotten and rust anyway. But still, I loved that home and wish McKenna would be able to have memories of it too. But instead she'll get to have memories of grandparents coming to school programs and sporting events and honestly, that is probably more important.

---

So long home sweet home!

You hold some of the best memories of my entire life within your walls.

I'll miss you!

5 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

So I pulled out some pictures the other day and what was in there but us girls (V4V) in your yard... that beautiful yard and what a flood of wonderful memories came to mind. I knew this day was coming and couldn't remember if it was this week or next and now readign your post I even wish I coudl go for one last walk through your parents home. Can you believe the comofort it brought to all of us girls growing up in those ever so important years, knowing we could stop in at any time and your parents would always welcome us with open arms? What a blessed place it was and will be for the next family. I pray they sense the incredible peace that I always did there. And I am so excited for you to get to have your parents close by. You are just going to love that! The kids won't know what to do with themselves having Granma and Grandpa close by!

Holly said...

This post made me cry! My parents still live in the same house where I grew up and you're right...it is so comforting to be able to go "home." Sometimes, that house feels more familiar than my own and so welcoming. But you're right about another thing, too...it's the people in the house who make it a home and you are going to be so very blessed to have your family near you. I have always felt that family is the most important thing in the world...that's why we still live in this area - to be close to family! Your post was a wonderful reminder of that.

Anonymous said...

Oh Judy, I'm sorry that your going through this:( These kind of changes are so hard! I'm so glad that God is the great comforter. I hope your sadness lessens as you get used to having your parents closer.
Love,
Melinda

Katy said...

i can't even imagine judy. we were military and so we moved all the time. what a treasure to have had SOOOO many incredible memories at that house - but what a GIFT that you are going to have your parents so close by! it's definitely going to be priceless...even though it's sad in the meantime.

the mccollums... said...

I read this post yesterday on my RSS so I didn't get a chance to comment. But I did have to tell you that I had a few tears for you while reading it. Change is so hard. I think being in Africa away from home makes me realize just how precious being at home is...love you!