Saturday, March 13, 2010

Asthma

Do any of you out there have it?
I do.
It's bad right now.
Having to think about every breath.
Two doctor visits and no improvement.
I just can't get it under control.
Very frustrating.
Last night was scary.
Couldn't breathe for two hours.
I hate the feeling of not being in control.
Thank goodness my mom was here.
I actually made her hold my hand and sit with me until Ryan got home at 2am.
I think I'm going to have to go on a daily medication.
I've resisted doing that b/c 80% of the time you would never know I have asthma.
Then one of my kids gets sick and I catch a little of what they have,
and it spirals out of control.

Two different inhalers.
One nebulizer med.
An allergy med.
An antibiotic.
And a steriod.
I'm on all that junk just to try to clear this up.
I wonder if I would feel great if I just stopped it all?
Probably not a good idea.

So I'm learning that asthma might be unseen, but it's real.
Very real.
Time for me to pay attention
and figure out how to keep this from happening again!
People deal with chronic health issues all the time,
I've just never had to before.
I was hoping it would just go away.
Too bad that strategy isn't working!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Judy, don't you dare stop that medicine....;) It really will make you feel crappy at this point if you do. I'm praying that you find the right med to keep an even balance, even when the kids are sick. Love ya!!

Sarah Joy said...

Don't even think about stopping the meds! I had asthma all through middle and high school and you can't live without it. I now ionly have issues when I get sick witha cold and then it all goes straight to my lungs so we keep an inhalher here. Scott has an inhalher and nebulizer as well. It stinks but it works! I am praying ofr you!! And so glad your mom is there.

Vicky said...

Larry and I are praying for you, dear Judy. Sending love, Vicky

Melissa said...

I've always had good luck with Flovent. It's a maintenance inhalor- but it works pretty well. They tried me on Advair, but it's an inhaled powder and one of the side effects is mouth ulcers. Not fun!

Amy said...

Chronic health issues are such a pain....don't you just love getting older? :) Especially because it's easy to put the issue on the shelf when you're feeling fine, and just forget about it....until it rears it's ugly head again. When you're feeling better this week, that's the time to figure out what needs to be done daily to keep your asthma under control. Hypoglycemia is like that for me. If I don't pay attention every day, check my blood sugar and make the adjustments that I need (even when I'm feeling fine), it spirals out of control very very quickly. But a little daily maintenance goes a long way towards keeping it under control, and keeping it from interfering with my life! You're going to figure out the balance for keeping your asthma in check, and you'll be able to keep it from ruling your life too!

Katy said...

oh judy please be careful! yes you need to pay attention to it! you've got two little ones with you at home that need you at full strength! :)