Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sweet Victory

I think I've mentioned before that about two years ago Christian had a very scary experience in the deep end of a pool. I learned a very hard lesson about my ability to keep track of four mobile kids at the pool while nursing a baby. Clearly that was a very bad plan. I should have MADE everyone wear life jackets. I didn't and Christian is now terrified of the water since his babysitter basically had to save his life.
Ugh...I can't even stand to think about it. Thank you Jesus for guardian angels!
Moving on...
So Christian is a work in progress.
It takes a little coaxing to get him out of the baby pool.
And then some more coaxing to get him to let go of the wall.

And then we had this issues of what to do about that green bucket that McKenna threw in the "deep" end. How on earth were we going to get that?

Sweet Victory!
It only took 15 minutes of discussion first and I could have easily gotten it myself, but this was HUGE. He's learning to stay calm and not swallow a bunch of water every time he becomes fearful.



And pretty soon this little move didn't take any coaxing.


And this was a huge moment!!!!


Please take note of the fact that my boy is all the way down there in the far left corner all by himself!


The smile on that face was pure VICTORY!

Maybe next time I'll actually be able to convince him to put his face in the water :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!!! I am so proud of him for overcoming that fear. Praise God! He's gonna be swimmin' like a fish this summer. Good thing you have a biiiigggg backyard for your own inground pool!

Laurie

Katy said...

HOORAY!!! Keep it up - I'm convinced that good swimmers come from kids who have just been CONSTANTLY exposed to it - I'm so proud of him!!!