Monday, August 10, 2009

Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes

I just wanted to take a second to get you thinking about Operation Christmas Child Shoe boxes. I'm sure most of you have heard of this before and participated. If you haven't you can check out the Samaritan's Purse Website for more info.
Last year my goal was to fill as many boxes as we could and we ended up doing ten! I started shopping in October and got some pretty good deals so I ended up spending about $70.00 on the boxes, plus the shipping costs which I think is $7.00 a box which is the most expensive part! This year my plan is to do even more boxes and spend less money! That's why I started about a month ago. We have a big plastic tub in our garage and every time I see a deal I buy it and put it in the tub. Christian is even catching on. He calls it the "poor box" and most of the time whenever he gets a Happy Meal the toy ends up going in the "poor box" because he's starting to realize that he has so much and has a desire to help other kids who aren't as blessed. I love it that we constantly have this conversation about the "poor kids" because we are constantly picking something up for them!
Anyway, have you been paying attention to these awesome back-to-school sales????
Toy R Us has boxes of 24 Crayola crayons for $0.25
Target has colored pencils for $0.88
Staples has 5 packs of Bic highlighters for $1.00 (use the coupon on coupons.com to get it even cheaper)
You can get FREE pencils at Kmart when you purchase other school supplies.
There are some amazing sales. The list goes on and on.
Now I don't run around to all these different stores. I just go to Walmart and take all the sale fliers with me and have the cashier price match everything at the register. The person behind me in line gets annoyed but I just keep in mind that I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing it for some sweet child in Haiti who has never had a new set of Crayola crayons.
So get started now!! Do as many boxes as you can! Snatch up all the cheap back to school supplies that you can. Save your Happy Meal toys and remember that you're really packing a box for a family not just a child. We always include things like plastic utensils, multiple toothbrushes, wash cloths, soap, combs, socks, deodorant, etc.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

thanks for sharing, judy! that's awesome! and some GREAT ideas!!!

Millicent said...

ok judy....this is so weird that you posted this! Last night I was thinking about the shoe boxes, and that it would be a good idea to do a blog post about all of the cheap deals right now--and using them for the boxes!
Too cool!! Great minds think alike, huh? ;)

Katy said...

yep, i'm a price-matcher at walmart too - right there with you. great idea to take advantage of the school supply sales now for the boxes.

Lori said...

Ya know, I never thought of sending crayons, I guess because I thought they would melt.

Walmart has the Crayola Markers on sale for a dollar...the pic shows the regular, but the description says "washable markers"...I am going to try and get the washable ones for a buck, too!! (just as a side note!)

Lori said...

The zip bins were up near the front on one of the tables..about 1/2 way back in the store. I had to do a double take on them...I couldn't believe they had them for 4.99!! The only other zip bin I have seen is one that was already zipped up into a bin, so when I saw it in it's box, I didn't recognize it.

Jackie said...

I did not know that WalMart does price matching! I am learning so much from my younger and wiser friends! Thanks for sharing!

The Kirkland's said...

Judy..so glad you posted about this! Seems like every year I hear about this after the deadline to send the boxes. I am going to get started on putting mine together now!!
ALso, I didn't know walmart price matched..that is such a great thing to know. I love reading your blog because I always learn something new :)

Heidi said...

Judy you are amazing! So smart and on top of things! I wouldn't of thought to do the price matching. I would be stupid enough to drive to the different stores. Thanks for sharing!

Bethany said...

Judy-

I don't believe we have ever met before in person. I was one of Liv's primary nurses, and have since become very close to Zac and Julie. I was checking out your blog and have become very interested in the shoeboxes. We do a lot of heart cases with Samaritan Purse. I went to the website and only found one drop off center in SC. Are there anymore drop off areas, or do you ship to SC and also include the $7 shipping cost.

Bethany, PICU RN