Monday, January 10, 2011

98%

I talked to a nurse today about my ultrasound last week!!! This little kicker is in the 98% percentile for weight! Am I worried?? Nope! I'll survive giving birth (notice I used the word "survive" and not the word "enjoy") and then I can enjoy the fact that I have a chubby little boy!



Christian was off the percentile chart for weight most of his first year of life, meaning he was over 100% for weight. He weighed 19.5 lbs at four months. That's a big baby!!! And he's perfectly normal now and even walked right on schedule.



I have a feeling they're going to pressure me to induce early and I'm not sure how I feel about that. With my first pregnancy I would have absolutely said "no way!!!" But I learned some hard lessons during Christian's birth. It was my midwife who recommended that I have a c-section with Christian and she even brought in the doctor to do it and I was having no parts of it. As a result I almost lost my precious first born. As long as I live I will never forget the silence in the room when I asked what Christian's apgar score was. No one answered because it was actually a (1) and they were busy resuscitating him. So these days I am most definitely going to weigh all my options. I'm going to pray about it and er on the side of caution. The goal is to have a healthy baby, not to be a hero! I know this is totally controversial and people have very strong opinions about childbirth. But I don't (anymore). So I'm not sure what to do. I guess we'll just cross that bridge when we come to it!!! It's kind-of funny, but a c-section scares me way more than giving birth naturally does. ha!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm praying for you Judy!! I hope it all goes smoothly and you don't even need to make a decision. Maybe this little guy will decided to come early all on his own :) Love you!

Sarah Joy said...

Praying for you and know you will all be in Christ's hands as labor comes on!
I would give birth naturally on my own any day vs having to go through a c-section again. Even though I was completely knocked out for mine, I was still beside myself when they wheeled me into the OR. So I understand what you mean when you say it scares you. The thing is when you are a mommy you have to do things you don't want to for the safety of your baby or yourself, in my case it was both... that is when the complete trust in your loving God brings you the peace you need. You know HE is with you and your baby and he loves you both. That is the best and only comfort in those moments.
You are very strong Jude and no matter what you and Ryan decide to do you will have peace because Jesus lead you to the decision and he is as close as the mention of his name.

Becki S said...

I had two kids naturally and two via c-section. Both had their pros and cons, but the sections weren't nearly as scary as I anticipated. The biggest thing is to make sure you have lots of help lined up after the birth since you won't be up and around as quickly. The best part of scheduling a section is being able to plan everything out and make sure the other kids are prepared and taken care of!

the mccollums... said...

i'm with you--I would be way more scared of major surgery (C section) than going natural. Maryn's birth (still so fresh in my mind) was definitely painful but I loved that I felt everything...a labor of love for sure. Natural isn't for everyone...neither is C-section. But you have way less time recovering without the major surgery. I can't imagine being up for all the middle of the night feedings having to recover myself. ANyway...you mentioned not being a hero. But, guess what? You are a hero...every mother is no matter which way she births her child. :) That is the end result. God will give you and Ryan wisdom and strength for it all. Praying for you.