Friday, April 22, 2011

There's a lesson in this....

I got a phone call this afternoon from my neighbor Mary.
She doesn't live on my street.
She lives out on the road about five houses down, before you turn into my neighborhood.
I've met her twice. She came to my yard sale last summer and I met her at our neighborhood picnic.
She is precious.
A mom of six grown children.
A grandmom of nine.

She said she was outside earlier this week working in her garden and she thought she heard a baby cry.
So she called her neighbor Dianne to ask her if I had had our baby yet.
I don't know Dianne, so of course Dianne didn't have a clue.
But Dianne did remember my last name, so Mary got my phone number and called.

She asked me about "the baby" and then asked if she could bring me dinner.
She was at my door in less than 10 minutes with dinner and a baby gift.
So sweet!

She held Will and we visited for half an hour.
She was a tiny piece of sunshine on an otherwise rainy, gloomy day.
Her extreme thoughtfulness blessed my heart.

It would have been so easy for her to never show up at my door.
She didn't know me.
Didn't really know when my baby was due.
Didn't know my last name or even my phone number,
but she didn't let any of that stop her from being a blessing.

Time for me to work harder at blessing others.
So many times I have good intentions.
I think of things I could do, but never follow through.
Time to start following through.


Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.



2 comments:

millicent said...

that is so sweet!!!

unlike your actual friend who forgot to bring you dinner :(

Katy said...

what a TRUE blessing - that is awesome! for her to really take the time and go the extra mile for you. I'm SO thankful for her for you!!! :)