Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Yippee Jesus!!

This morning there was a period of time where I thought I was dealing with some pretty bad news, but just wait till you hear this story of great blessing.

Today was my six month check up screening for Glaucoma. You might remember my eye doctor visit from six months ago when it looked like I was in the early stages of Glaucoma. Glaucoma is basically when the pressure in your eye is too great and over a period of time you can begin to loose your eye sight and eventually go blind without treatment. It's a disease that runs in families, so my sister's eye doctor actually was the one first noticed that the pressure in her eyes is too high and that news was what sent me to the doctor.

This morning they checked the pressure in my eyes and it was higher that it had been in June. Not good. I had been hoping for no change or even a lower level (since these levels do fluctuate a little bit even throughout the day). But mine was higher by several points. Ugh. I sort of felt sick.

But my doctor is on top of her game and she told me "We're not going to worry until we're sure there is something to worry about." Which immediately made me think of Matthew 6:25 in which Jesus basically says the same thing. Good advice. Thankfully my doctor is awesome because she continually educates herself by going to conferences and she had been to a conference on Glaucoma just three years ago where she learned about some awesome new technology. So she did another peripheral vision test. It came back fine. So there was one more thing to check. Apparently the thickness of your cornea has a lot to do with the pressure in your eye.

((Have I lost you yet???))

So she wanted to check the thickness of my cornea (oh yuck) and if it would happen to be unusually thick then my pressure readings are probably off and the pressure in my eye is probably just fine.

I actually wanted to run out of the office because I was not excited about them probing my cornea. I think I actually told them that I would rather give birth (which I now know is not the truth because the test wasn't bad at all and just for the record: childbirth is no walk in the park). They probed all around my eye (it's sort of like a mini-ultrasound of sorts for your eye). The numbing drops really worked because I didn't feel a thing. I just wanted to blink but couldn't because they were holding my eye open.

And guess what???? I have thick corneas!!! Yippee!!!! Like I have super thick corneas, which means the pressure in my eyes is probably normal! Which means I am not in the early stages of Glaucoma! WooHoo!!!

I will continue with Glaucoma screenings for several more years (they've got a good baseline for all the tests now), but this is really, really good news!

Did you know that the thickness of your cornea is one of the most hereditary things in your body? Who knew! I can't wait to tell my siblings. Amy is going to have to get her cornea probed (Ha! poor girl!!) because chances are she doesn't have anything to worry about either! But she needs to find out for sure!

So this is a very, very exciting answer to prayer! Whew!

5 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

Yay! We are on a roll my friend let's keep the good news coming!

Anonymous said...

Praise God! That is wonderful news! Anna :)

Anonymous said...

Praise God! That is wonderful news! Anna :)

Millicent said...

WOW!!!! That is awesome!!!

Christine said...

Praise God! (and can I just say I love the name of this post? :))