Thursday, December 16, 2010

Oh What a Night!

I failed my one hour glucose test and had my first very real contraction (in the middle of the grocery store) all in the same night! Then I drove home going 25mph on an unplowed snowy road. Its been fun! So I'm heading to bed now and I'm going to figure out just exactly what gestational diabetics is tomorrow. I am not officially diagnosed. That will only happen if I fail the four hour test on Tuesday. But I do know that sugar is no longer my friend and I will definitely be missing orange juice, yogurt (my word did you know how much sugar that stuff has in it????) and of course my guilty pleasure...cheesecake for the next three months. Thankfully there are much worse things in life, but the week of Christmas just doesn't seem like the appropriate time to go on an Akins like diet.

On the up side; I've been worried about the lack of movement I feel with this baby boy and tonight I found out exactly why!!! The placenta is attached to the front of my uterus (sorry if that's TMI) so if you put your hand on the front of my belly you are not likely to feel a kick. That makes me feel so much better!!! Now I can just enjoy the occasional kick in the side and not worry about it anymore!

Good night!!!

7 comments:

Heather said...

CALL ME. I can help you if you need it. I know allll about it, given my job. Also, you CAN have all of those things. Just in moderation. I'm praying it's not an issue, but please email or call me if you need to. Love you!!

Holly said...

I failed the 1 hour glucose test when I was pregnant with Ellie, but I passed the 4-hour test a few days later. They never put me on a restricted diet. Ellie was almost a pound bigger than Kate - so I guess it could have been the sugar (doesn't that make for bigger babies?). But I don't think you need to worry too much until after the next test. Maybe it will be fine! And bring lots of things to do during the test...it involves a lot of waiting! Praying that your results are normal (and you can keep eating that cheesecake)!

Courtney said...

wow, you take care of yourself....

and so interesting about the placement of the placenta! i've never heard of that! i'm SURE it puts your heart at ease knowing that!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you received good news about where the baby is. Thank God for that. I'm praying that your 4 hour test goes well. (((hugs))) Anna :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear baby Chatterton is doing well! I will be praying for the 4 hour test. I remember those days when I was pregnant with Cait and was diagnosed with GD...but everyone is different so continue to trust in the One who holds us in His hands.

Laurie

Sarah Joy said...

So I failed all three of my first tests and then passed all three of my second tests. When I was pregs with the Beast I was put on restrictions even though I passed the four hour test, I measure 3 or 4 weeks ahead the entire time I was carrying him and what do you know he came out over nine pounds on his due date. With Scott I was on restrictions which was crazy because I was vomiting all nine months just like the other two but this time I had at home health care and a pic line to stay out of the hospital... he was born two weeks early (due to medical necessity) and was 7.3 pounds. Bottom line, restrictions or not I grow them big! And even though I was sick as can be my boys all got what they needed need to grow strong and healthy- amazing! Tests are a good tool but not the bottom line and only you know your body best and God is ultimately in control. Moderation is the key and hopefully you will pass this next test!

Heather said...

I failed the 1 hour test with Liam and passed the follow up test (by one point!)...and I barely passed the 1 hour test with Caroline (by one point)....so try not to sweat it too much!