Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A new kind of gratitude....

I've always been thankful for our country.
I can't even count the number of times I've prayed and thanked God that I was born in this country.
We are blessed.
Abundantly.

Yesterday that gratitude sunk a little deeper into my heart.

I have the very early stages of Glaucoma in both eyes.

If I lived in Haiti or Africa or maybe even Canada with their fabulous universal healthcare (I'm being sarcastic :) I probably would be going blind before I ever found out I had it. Once you start to lose your sight with Glaucoma you can't get it back.
It's too late.

So for the past 24 hours I've had a lot to think about.
A lot to be thankful for.
We have great insurance that will cover most of this. Well, except for our outrageous co-pays, but I am NOT going to complain about that!
That's a small price to pay.
I'm just thankful!

It's extremely rare for someone my age to develop signs of Glaucoma.
I'm thankful my sister's doctor caught her warning signs and because of that mine has been caught in the earliest stage possible.
The prognosis is good :)
I just will be going to the eye doctor about as regularly as I go to the dentist (every 6 months). No treatment yet.
We just wait to see if it gets worse.
That sounds fun doesn't it?!

So hip, hip, hooray for the USA!
WooHoo for awesome doctors!
Yahoo for incredible medical technology (Bet you didn't know that they can do an ultrasound of your eye!)
Yipee for prevenative care!
And thank you Jesus for all of the above.



2 comments:

Courtney said...

wow, judy! you have such a good attitude! not sure i would be so thankful so early on...thanks for being such a strong light for HIM!

Anonymous said...

Thank God that they caught it early. You are in my prayers. Anna