Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Remembering

I remembered the sweetest thing tonight and I don't think I've ever talked about it or blogged about it and I decided that I'd better do that or one day I won't remember anymore.



It was February 2008. McKenna was just a week away from being born. Christian was my precious only child, although Abby and Nathan were spending their days with us, so it was rare for him to have an "only child" moment. I remember feeling sad that he would never remember what it was like to have my undivided attention. I felt sad for him that he was going to have share me with yet another person (and a very demanding one at that). I felt guilty that I hadn't really prepared him much for the arrival of a sister. We talked about it and read a few books but that was about it.



So I decided to take Christian on a date. Just mommy and Christian! I think that's the only time in his life that he's had a date with just me. We went out to lunch at a real restaurant with a real waitress. We ordered lunch and colored pictures and I remember opening a pack of M&Ms while we waited for our food. We practiced his colors and categorized them according to color and I just enjoyed his company. I let him eat all the M&Ms before his lunch came. It was the best, to just sit there with my little 2 1/2 year old man and look him in the eye without any other distractions. I am certain that he does not remember that day, but I do. It's one of my sweetest memories.



Now I realize that the best thing that ever happened to Christian was his sister. All that guilty and worry was nonesense, although I have a feeling most hormonal moms-to-be have similar thoughts. Christian loves McKenna to pieces and his life would be so lonely (and peaceful) without her. They are best friends and I'm so thankful that the Lord gave Christian a sister.


This time around we are much more prepared emotionally and physically for this baby brother. Christian has asked a ton of ummm....very interesting questions. He pretty much understands what it takes to have a baby. He knows that you can have a baby two different ways and I worry every time I drop him off at preschool that he's going to share his knowledge with his friends. Thankfully at this point he's content with the understanding that it's God who puts a baby inside mommies and that it's one of God's best miracles!



Christian genuinely thinks that he is going to be taking care of this baby. I told him that I'm going to keep one of the bouncy seats in the bathroom so that I can keep an eye on the baby when I take a shower and he thought that was just silly since he will be babysitting whenever I need to take a shower. I do think that Christian's main job is going to be protecting his little brother from his little sister. We are really going to have to make some rules for McKenna because she thinks she's going to be changing diapers and feeding this kid every time he cries.

No comments: