Tuesday, February 1, 2011

An M&M Birthday

My dear sweet Emma is about to turn 10!! Holy cow...really?? How can she be almost 10??? Oh my word I remember just where I was standing when I got the phone call that she was born. My cell phone had died because I hadn't charged it and I called the hospital from a pay phone (who even uses those anymore) and I stood there talking on that pay phone crying. Oh my, anyway..... you guys know that a double digit birthday is a big deal and she's having a bunch of school friends come to her party. Now if you know Emma, you know that she is no ordinary girl. Therefore, ordinary birthday parties are not for her. Last year she had a "science experiment" birthday party. Only Emma!!

This year she wants to have an M&M party because "M&M" is apparently her nickname at school. This idea has Amy just a little stumped. I got a phone call tonight asking for some ideas.
So I thought I might bug you for some brilliant ideas too.
The more I think about it and hop around online, the more I'm realizing that this is a really fun idea. Fun colors! Fun food!!! Fun games!

Check out all the different M&M party supplies you can buy on ebay (HERE). I'm surprised that there are actually some decent options out there.

My Party Ideas so far:

When you invite guests tell them what color M&M they're supposed to represent and have them wear that color (then you can easily divide into teams for games).

Play pin the "m" on the M&M.


Carvel makes an ice cream cake shaped like an M&M


Put a bunch of M & Ms in a jar and as the kids arrive have them guess how many M&Ms there are. Whoever is the closest wins the jar of M&Ms.


Make a batch of cupcakes, frost them with different bright colors, and decorate with M&Ms as the toppings. The kids can make different designs on the cupcakes before eating.

Buy M&Ms in every flavor (plain, peanut, coconut, pretzel, peanut butter, dark chocolate, almond, etc) and then have a taste testing contest. Give each guest one M&M at a time. When they eat it they need to write down what kind of M&M it is. (For example; #1 Pretzel, #2 Almond, etc) and whoever gets the most right wins an M&M prize.

Divide the girls into teams (based on the color they are wearing) and play a trivia or true/false game using all the M&M facts found HERE.

Christian thinks they should hide bags of M&Ms around the house and make everyone find them :)

Divide the girls into their teams. Give each team a large bag of M&Ms. On your count have them dump out the M&Ms and which ever team is able to categorize them by color the fastest wins. To make the game last longer you could have various places around the house (in different rooms) where they have to put their M&Ms once they've been divided by color. For example; all their red M&Ms would go in a red bucket in the family room. All Green M&Ms go in the green bowl in Emma's room....

Okay, I'm out of ideas. Your turn. Leave a comment if you can think of something fun to add to this party. A craft idea would be fun or some sort of fun food idea.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should be a party planner!!! so many great ideas. I can't believe Emma is going to be 10...already!

Laurie

Amy said...

So many great ideas!!!! I love it! Now we're really getting excited!!

Anonymous said...

thanks aunt judy!!! tell chrish i said gr8 idea about the hiding the bags. ill have 2 use that:) love everyone!!!! love M&M:)

Christine said...

This sounds like a lot of fun :) Don't forget to make sure no one is allergic to nuts before you buy any nut-flavored M&M's!

Happy almost 10th birthday Emma!!

Anonymous said...

guess what???? im using the idea:make everyone wear a color. mom printed out invetations and they are all the colors of M&MS. you have to wear the color your invitation was!!!! mom printed all the colors exept blue. my guess is that uor family is going to end up wearing blue. if it were my choice, i woukld get to wear all the M&M colors and rotate wich team im on. that way i would be fair to everyone. love everyone,M&M :)