Monday, December 14, 2009

Potty Training Questions??

It seems that McKenna needs to be potty trained. I've never been a big believer in early potty training. Christian wasn't potty trained until he was almost three, but he did it in a week and only had one accident because he was READY!! So I've never pushed the whole potty training thing. But I think McKenna has made up her own mind about potty training. She HATE diapers. She takes them off every chance she gets and she tugs and pulls at them because she thinks they're uncomfortable. She wants to sit on the potty. She wakes up from bedtime and naps dry. She tells me as soon as her diaper is wet, so that I can change it. So along with Christmas and moving, I think we might just potty train too. Well, at least as soon as we're moved I think we're going to potty train.
So I've never done this this early and I've never potty trained a girl (just boys) so I have some questions.

I think I'm going to just skip the pull ups. She hates diapers and they're kind-of like diapers, so I think I might skip them. Good idea or bad idea?

Or should I just try pull ups and if she likes them, just let her wear them instead of diapers?

I've been looking in the stores for "big girl undies" and the smallest size I've been able to find is 2T. But McKenna isn't a 2T, she needs like a size 18 months. Any suggestions?

I think I'm going to use a little potty (not the potty seat on the real toilet like I used with Christian) because McKenna is so tiny. Good idea or bad idea?

Am I insane for doing this before she turns two? ha! I think I already know that answer to that :)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I've been reading tons of stuff about potty training. Nicholas just turned three and is not close to being ready. The pediatrician just told me that I shouldn't push it because it will only make things worse! But, it definitely sounds like McKenna is ready. The only piece of advice I have (after all my scientific research - ha!) is to skip Pull-Ups. Everything I've read states that Pull-Ups just delay the process. (They are a marketing scheme from diaper manufacturers to keep kids in diapers as long as possible!)
You know I'm going to be extremely jealous if McKenna is potty trained before Nicholas - sigh!
Good Luck!

Bethany said...

My daughter has the same problem with the whole size thing. I have yet to find anything smaller than size 2T. I get her boy underwear instead. They just seem to fit better and don't go up her tooshie like girl underwear do. I hope this helps.

Millicent said...

totally not insane for doing it now! I would skip the pull ups...they are just cute diapers if you ask me. Ikea has cute little pottys that are around $3....they are awesome!
you can order smaller undies online at specialty stores. that's the only place I can think to get big ones. But the 2T are small, so they might just fit her :)
good luck!

Becki said...

I agree - skip the pullups if you can! Going straight to underwear seemed to work well for my girls. Most of them hated the feeling when they had an accident and potty trained quickly. Of course, mine were all much older when we trained them, so I have no idea what it'll be like with such a little one! Definitely get a potty chair for her so she can get on and off easily by herself. She might just go sit on it and play or read! You could also try letting her run around at home without a diaper or underwear and save the pullups for when you're going out. My only other advice would be to let her go at her own pace - if she's not getting it after a while, take a break and try again later. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ur not crazy. Because of Gracey's renal issues and her interest she was potty trained at 20 months did have a set back once for about two weeks when I switched jobs, but other then that she has not had accidents. If u don't want pull ups maybe buy a couple cloth diapers that are thin and have an out side lining. U can get in any size will stop minor leaks and if u get ones that have insert then very functional and reusable:). A little potty YES! She is little and u will have to be present at every second if she is using the big potty. And a little potty can go anywhere with u in the house or in the car.
Lindsey

Courtney said...

go for it!!!

i potty trained all mine RIGHT at 2 - went straight to panties - not sure about how to find smaller ones...but it's ok if they are a little big - they were on my girls even at 2 years old!

and we never used a little toilet OR toilet seat (i'm anti "kid stuff!") just taught them how to sit on the toilet and hold them selves up! (need a stool...but that is needed for the sink to wash their hands anyway!)

sounds like it will go very smoothly! :-)

Julie and Chris said...

You are LUCKY! Jackson has no desire yet...and we already got him an Elmo potty. I would go for it, it sounds like she is really ready!

Katy said...

i'm sure i'm too late for all of this, but if she's waking up dry and telling you all that, then she's reaady. skip the pullups - it's just a more expensive diaper. 2T panties should fit her - they are snug fitting and will shrink anyways. as for the potty seat - whatever works. if she can hold herself up on the big potty, than that's fine. otherwise try the little one. YAHOO - think of the extra money you'll save by not buying diapers!

oh, and i've missed you so much and have been thinking of you ALL the time. as crazy as it's been here the last few weeks, i wasn't moving! so i know it's been nuts, but now i'm SO excited to hear how everything went!!!