Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Just so you know...


Yellow Jackets can live forever!
I know you probably didn't want to know that, but now you do :)

You see we have a major Yellow Jacket problem here at our townhouse. There is a nest of them somewhere and we haven't been able to find it and neither has the exterminator. So this fall we dealt with yellow jackets every single day. They would get in the car every time we would open the door, they would fly in the house, it was awful! We literally would kill a dozen a day and that didn't even phase them. So I bought this nifty little yellow jacket trap at the store (back in October). The Yellow Jackets go in and then can't get out.

But here's the amazing thing.....


they're still alive!

They've been in there since October and they haven't frozen to death yet.
I'm just shocked about this.
We've even had snow and those stinkin' suckers are still alive. I think they're hibernating or something because they don't move unless I tap on their little cage and then they start to move around. Isn't that crazy?

Just thought you'd want to know!

3 comments:

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

interesting! I wonder what they are eating to stay alive (each other maybe?) Insects are interesting creatures for sure! Hopefully you won't take any of them with you to the new house.

Heather said...

That is my worst nightmare because I am totally allergic!! YUCK!!!!

Katy said...

gross!!!