Saturday, August 13, 2011

Safety Camp Revisited....

Remember the safety camp we had this summer???
Well I wanted to mention one more thing about it just in case any of you are planning on doing something similar.
I left out one topic that I had planned to cover, but just didn't prepare well enough for ahead of time. It is definitely something we're going to cover this fall!!
I planned on talking about gun safety.
We have lots of friends who hunt and I know for a fact have guns in their homes and as my kids get older and they have more playdates without me I want to be certain that they know what to do if another kid starts to play with a gun or if they find a gun somewhere.
You never know how well other people secure their guns. You might think you're leaving your kid in the hands of the most responsible person you know, but people make mistakes. People get careless sometimes and you have got to train your child for that moment.
I'm not trying to be all dramatic, but I think it's important to think of the worst thing that your child could ever experience and prepare them for it. Pray it never happens and don't live in fear, but educate and empower them to be able to handle it.

No comments: