Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Sneak Peek

(McKenna with her cousin Gracey)
We're home from our whirlwind Thanksgiving trip to Illinois!! I think it was one of our best trips yet! It always helps when there's limited crying and fussing in the car and this year we apparently brought along our good kids. The whiners that usually inhabit our house were not available for travel this year and that was certainly a nice surprise.
(Cousin Zavier-He and McKenna were born just a few weeks apart)
We left Illinois on Saturday afternoon and drove through the night to avoid the horrendous holiday traffic on Sunday. We got home at 3:52am! Ryan certainly is a road warrior. The kids slept for the last 5 hours of the trip, so it really was pretty pleasant.
(Silly guy, Christian)
We got to see not just Ryan's immediate family but his extended family and it's always a treat to see them all. Leaving was hard. Christian cried, so I cried and then Ryan cried (okay, so he didn't sob he just teared up....thought I should clarify that before he reads this). This is the first year that Christian has really understood the distance that separates us and he "gets" the importance of family and how much we love these precious people that we rarely see. And it's our hope that as the kids get older we'll be able to make the trip more often, but then there's that little boy due to arrive this spring that sort of hampers our plans. I told Ryan we just need to buy an RV. I think he rolled his eyes. \
It was a very happy Thanksgiving and we are so thankful for Ryan's side of our family. I did a pretty lame job of getting good pictures this year, but I'll be back with more (but I've told myself that I have to get all the laundry done first)! ha!

P.S. I don't know if you read the comments on my earlier post about stuff to do in the car, but my friend Sarah mention having pipe cleaners to play with in the car. I got a pack and they were a HUGE hit. A little annoying when I had to keep wearing all the things Christian was making me (and then he "decorated" Grammy and Grampy's house with them) but seriously...they kept him occupied for two hours straight!!! Awesome idea! Thanks Sarah!!

No comments: