Monday, November 22, 2010

A 15 Hour Drive


So what would you do on a 15 hour drive (it might not take that long. I hope not, but it depends on the Thanksgiving traffic) with two kids??


I would love to hear your ideas!


I did just pack an awesome "car bag." We've been accumulating fun car things for the past several years and they stay in the "car bag" and only come out when we go on trips! This trip, just to switch things up a bit, I've wrapped each item in the "car bag." So the kids will unwrap something and then that's what they have to play with for the next 30 minutes (or longer...whatever I feel like making up at the time).


Want to know what's in there?? It might give you some good ideas for your next trip! I'm trying to come up with lots of things that will work in the dark b/c a good portion of our driving will take place after dark.


Here's the run down:


window markers (this is a new item. not sure how I feel about it. I'm afraid it could be messy).

Travel Aquadoodle

Travel Light Bright (yes, we do end up with millions of little pegs all over the floor)

Road sign bingo (I printed it from online)

books

coloring books

Leapsters & games (with fresh batteries)

MP3 players

Magnetic play boards (we've got a Thomas one with trains that are magnets that you can move around and we've got a fireman one).

Magnadoodle

Puppets (one for each kid. this will be used during daylight to "put on a show for the other cars")

Crayola Light up travel Glow Station (this is new!!! i'm excited about this one)

Silly putty

Adventure's In Odyssey Story CDs

Lightning McQueen books with sing along CDs

Christmas music :)

Toy Story 3 Alien bop it game (I found this a Kohls. new this trip! The aliens light up and you have to hit them as fast as you can. You get a score and race yourself).

Thanksgiving books (that I plan on reading outloud. why not learn about Squanto when you've got 15 hours to kill :)

A U.S. map (Christian is going to color in each state we travel through. When we get to a new state a new surprise is passed out...like a piece of candy or a new movie, etc)


Okay, I think that's it! Now if only I could find the power cord to the DVD player we would be all set!



3 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

I keep a bag for our travels as well. I keep some strange things in it like... pipe cleaners (yep just pipe cleaners they spark creativity in little boys), a roll of tape for each child (masking, they can do whatevery they want with it, keeps a three year old busy for an hour!), a ziploc baggie of large colorful paper clips, stickers and index cards in bulk. Those are my random items that really come in handy for the younger years and even still Regs but the normal things are iPods, gameboys (ours are only used for trips and never used in the home), Adventures in Oddessey, Narnia on CD, liscence plate games, state flash cards, crayons for each kid, pencils for each kid, crossword books and word searches for the older ones. I also have personal travel baskets that each child gets next to them loaded with their items and then next to me goes the Mommy needs a break items to pull out in a pinch. It is quite a system and takes a while to pack down but works perfectly for us and keeps everyone happy!We love to travel, road trips rock!!!

Christine said...

A couple of the kids at work have this really cool light-up magnadoodle. I'll try to find out what it's called and where to find it for you.

Lisa said...

You always have such great ideas