Monday, November 1, 2010

It's Shoebox Time!!!

Christian and I packed our Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes today during McKenna's nap time. I love this project and the conversation that seems to naturally flow as we pack the boxes together. It usually results in Christian running around the house trying to find more toys to add to the boxes (which is not what you're supposed to do, but I don't tell him you're only suppose to donate new things, I just let him do it and remove the stuff later).
We work on this project all. year. long!!! We have a tub in a closet upstairs and anytime I get a sample of toothpaste or happy meal toys that we seriously don't need or when I can find great clearance items after a holiday, I pick the stuff up super cheap and that way we can do lots of boxes. I just hit up a bunch of clearance Halloween stuff and got a bunch of tiny card games and mini playdough for next to nothing! I'm always scanning the birthday party favor spot in Target for their latest clearance stuff and it usually ends up being a better deal than the Dollar Store.

I hope you and your kids will be able to fill some shoeboxes this year!!! If your church doesn't collect them you can usually take them to the nearest Chick-fil-a and turn them in there. I think you might even get a coupon for a free item when you do that.


P.S. You have got to watch THIS video of a little guy receiving his shoebox! It's hilarious and makes me want to cry all at the same time!

4 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

Yay for Shoebox time! That is such a fun tradition to do with the kids and know that it will make a huge difference in a child's life.

millicent said...

that video is hilarious!!

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

This is a great project, so glad you are such an active participant. Our church just started something similar with orphans in Russian. It is good to give a little something back.

Katy said...

i'm so excited this year because it's the first time i really have been saving stuff all year long! i'm hoping to do a BUNCH of boxes...have to get some more actual boxes first before i can fill them up!