Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Big Backyard

So we're slowly learning about this here yard that we have. For example; see that reddish colored tree that's growing up right next to the house?? I was going to rip it out because it's only going to get bigger and it's already growing into the siding. It was planted way too close to the house. But then my dad calls me (after hearing my "rip it out" plans) and informs me that he just saw the same kind of Japanese Red Maple at Lowes for $199.99 Hmmmmm....I guess we're going to keep that $200 tree afterall! And please tell me...what kind of people spend that kind of money on a tree??? Not me! But I do appreciate the fact someone else did, so now I will just enjoy it!

We were delighted to find that four different colors of Iris bloomed this Spring! It's been so fun to be surprised by all the different blooming flowers.


You might remember that we moved in during one of the blizzards we had this winter, so we didn't have a clue what was buried under all that snow! But we're enjoying the surprise!


And look at that tiny little peach!

Unfortunately the peach tree really needs to be moved since it's growing out of the side of a holly tree. Not quite sure what to do about that, but it was fun to discover little baby peaches looking all cute and fuzzy!




I haven't a clue how to take care of rose bushes, but I'm set on figuring it out!

Can you guess what that tree is?? You'll never guess because honestly I didn't know they existed. My dad didn't even know they existed and I consider him a tree expert!
.........
.........
Did you try to guess yet?
.........
It's a Honeysuckle Tree. Not a bush or some vines growing into a tree, but an actual tree. It's way in the back of our yard and I can still smell it when I walk out the door. Love it!

According to our new neighbors the people who used to live in our house had a whole yard crew who worked on their landscaping. Ha!! That explains it! FYI....our yard crew consists of a 30-something mom, a dad who works a lot (so he doesn't really have time for the yard) and a four year old who thankfully thinks pulling weeds is fun!
I've just decided that I'm going to take lots of pictures of it looking pretty right now because after a few years of us living here I'm sure it won't be looking so perfect! I just can't keep up with it. The picture above is the landscaping around the shed. If it were up to me I would have never landscaped around the shed because it's unnecessary and just more work, but since it's there and looking so perfect I'm going to do my best to keep it looking pretty!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your yard is beautiful! And how cool is that honeysuckle tree! I didn't know they existed either. The iris and roses are so pretty. Anna :)

Millicent said...

everything is gorgeous! I can't wait until our yard is landscaped! Of course, I won't be buying a $200 tree! In a few years Christian will be out there doing the work for you :)

Katy said...

our yard crew must be the same as yours! :) i am feeling very overwhelmed by our yard too - and it's little bitty compared to the size of yours! i just have no ability in that area, and david doesn't have the time. sigh. what FUN that you have a peach tree in your yard and you are getting to discover all these beautiful flowers! i love that! and maybe you could sell that crazy expensive tree of yours! :)