Wednesday, February 15, 2012

His Bible

Tonight when I went into Christian's room to put him to bed, he was sitting in bed reading his Bible. For the record, this is officially the first time I've ever found him in bed reading. He's not some angelic child that reads himself to sleep every night. Usually I have to ask him more than once to put his Legos down and get in bed.

When I sat down on the side of his bed he said, "Mom, listen to this." He proceeded to read several sentences to me about when Mary went to the tomb and found that it was empty. His toothless little mouth struggled with the word "tomb"...silly silent "b." But other than that his precious voice didn't stumble or waiver as he read the words. I was amazed and he was equally amazed that he could read a real book with thousands of words and chapters in it. 

As I've been cleaning up the kitchen tonight and getting ready to go to bed, I was thinking about how excited he was that he could read his Bible. When was the last time I wanted to keep reading my own Bible instead of turning out the light? When was the last time I couldn't wait to hear how the story turned out?

Do you have an age appropriate Bible your kids can read?? Do you have a Bible that actually makes sense to you?? I hope so! It's life changing!

P.S. This is totally unrelated but cute, so I wanted to put it on the blog somewhere. Over the last week we've been working on memorizing our home phone number. We've basically made up a song to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle and McKenna loves to practice it and will quickly declare that she knows it better than Christian. Well, tonight at dinner time I asked her to do a scripture and she started singing our phone number. She was very confused when we all laughed. She was convinced that anything we work to memorize qualifies as a scripture. ha! I guess I haven't done a very good job of actually explaining where the scriptures we memorize come from.

No comments: