Wednesday, February 24, 2010

There's nothing like a good cry in PUBLIC!

I headed to the post office today with three very full boxes of clothing for the kids in Malwai! I tried to cram as much as I could into each box, so I actually put all the clothes in big ziplock bags and then stuck my vacuum cleaner attachment into the bag to suck out all the air. It worked and each box had about 30 items of clothing in it. I really did try to count everything, but McKenna was very involved in the process and she kept unpacking and messing things up. I know for certain that we had 38 items of clothing for the girls (mostly dresses, but some shirts with skirts). And I think we had about 40 items of clothing for the boys! Yahoo!!!





So anyway, I sat in front of the post office with those boxes of precious clothes that you guys sent me and with this little envelope of money that arrived in over 15 different cards (some of which arrived today...and if you sent something that hasn't arrived yet...don't worry it will still go to the kiddos in Malwai) and I prayed for the children who would wear each one of the outfits that we sent. And I had this great feeling of humility that God was at work. That all of us came together to be the "hands and feet of Jesus." Here I am a stay-at-home mom who most of the time feels very consumed with laundry and discipline and finding lost binkies and trying to keep my nasty kitchen floor clean. Most days it's hard for me to even look beyond myself and the immediate needs of the children in my life who can be quite demanding. Most of the time I honestly am probably pretty grouchy and uninspired. And so I am eternally thankful for people in my life like Jamie who help me to burst the bubble of the reality around me and allow me to see the injustice on this earth that Jesus sees. I'm sure Jesus was mightily disappointed with the first two and a half decades of my life in which I thought giving my old clothes to Goodwill was generous. I know now that God has called me to do way bigger things and I feel like I'm finally in a place where I'm training my heart to listen to his prodding.





And so I carried those boxes into the post office thinking of beautiful brown skinned children running around in the dirt with no shoes. Laughing and playing with complete joy in their hearts despite their lack of toys and when it was finally my turn in line tears welled up in my eyes as the postal worker asked me what was in the boxes. I explained how you guys sent money and sent clothes and how they were for some orphans in Africa. And I told her about McKenna's party and how all of her little friends brought clothes and she was so excited opening everything, even though it wasn't for her (and there was no one else in line, so she had to hear the whole story as I filled out those ridiculously long customs forms). And she got it! She was so sweet and took absolutely FOREVER trying to figure out the cheapest way to ship those clothes. And so, they are on their way! I was blown away by all of your generosity! I'm sure the kiddos in Malwai will have no idea what hit them when their Polo, Nautica, Children's Place, Gap and Carters clothes arrive! I love it that you guys gave your BEST!



"It is more blessed to GIVE than to receive." Acts 20:35


P.S. I'll add a picture to this post later, when I get the picture from the post office uploaded!


6 comments:

Millicent said...

I'm so glad we got to be a part of this! I can't wait to see the pics...and do you think Jamie will send pics when the stuff gets there?

Sarah Joy said...

After doing a clothing ministry for Ecuador for a while I so getthe shoving and pushing it into boxes. I would have to weigh stuff on scales and see how I would fit it all to get it overseas but we always got it there with thte teams that were going. It is such a huge blessing when those children put on a fresh shirt for the first time!!! I can't wait to read Jamie's post when she gets it all! Thanks for letting us all share in this great joy with you, in giving to these precious little ones!

Lisa said...

You're so sweet! We had lots of fun at the party and were thrilled to be a part of it.

Heidi said...

We also were so glad to part of this!! It was such a great idea Judy!

the mccollums... said...

Now I am the one crying...here I am sitting catching up on my blog reading and reading about you sending packages to me...here in Africa! Kinda feels like an out of body experience...sometimes (even after living here for 7 months) I still can't believe that I am here.

Anyway...thank you to all who sent the clothing...on behalf of the children here...I just can't wait to open those packages and give out the clothes. There will be pictures for sure..and maybe even video! I have a few upcoming trips out to each of the orphan care centers in April and May for teacher training...you can be praying for those as well. Thank you to all for your immense generosity! Thank you, Judy, for your beautiful plan to make things happen!

Katy said...

awesome judy. what an amazing way to be the hands and feet of jesus. truly.