Thursday, September 30, 2010

The basement, the bar and Lightning McQueen


Have I ever showed you our basement?? Probably not b/c honestly I'm hardly ever down there. But it is nice and cozy in the winter because of the stove over in the corner. So I'm starting to think about painting it.

It desperately needs some paint. The previous owners had the walls covered with stuff (surround sound speakers, shelves, pictures, lights) you name it...they had it on the wall. So now there are tons of holes which my father spackled for us (some were over 2 inches in diameter). Any color suggestions??? I'm not going to do white or khaki. Half of my house upstairs is khaki.


Do you see the wall behind that chair (the chair that Ryan acquired during college for 5 bucks and he refuses to ever let us get rid of it!!! He let me put it in a yard sale once but he said he had to get $30 for it. Hello....like anyone would by $30 for that chair. So now we affectionately call it "the green chair of doom" and I have come to terms with the fact that it will be a part of my decor until the day I die)? That wall seriously needs some paint. We had to spackle almost the entire thing.

And this is the bar that we acquired with the house. In the last 9 months we've used it once during a super bowl party we had. So I decided to come up with a new use for it.....


Ta Da!!!! It's the craft bar! We've used it every single day since I transformed it!! Christian loves it!

Look what we made today! McKenna's is the one on the right. Please notice how she wrote her "name" in the bottom left hand corner of her paper. I think it's adorable!

Just wanted you to see how truly green the "green chair of doom" really is. I know...you're jealous. And that gives you a good look at the rugs I have down there that I'm planning on keeping. So the paint needs to sort of go with them.

And here is our very serious Wii player! He's good at it and loves it, so we have to limit his time on it. He always asks permission before playing and I think that overall it's been a really positive thing for us to have. It allows me to take a nap occasionally :)

And just because I know you're dying to see what Christian is playing...here it is!! He asked me to take these pictures and to share them with you.

Your welcome :)

7 comments:

Millicent said...

awesome basement! I'm jealous!!
Maybe a goldish color like what is in the rug...the one under the gorgeous green chair :)
LOVE the craft bar. LOVE IT!!!!

Anonymous said...

How about a light cream or beige?
Grandmom

Sarah Joy said...

Okay hands down a creamy yellow adn that really should have crossed your mind by now! I think the one on my kitchen walls woudl look really good in your basement and would keep it fresh and cheerful. it is Behr 350C-2 Banana Cream. If you want to get away from the yellow or beige colors you could also do the pale greens such as Behr's Aloe Cucumber or Sage Cucumber, both similar to what is on my family room walls now. Those are in the new prime and paint in one line by Behr. You fir sure need to have a paint party and have your friends help you paint your basement! You could do a chalkboard and magnent wall on one of the walls to break it up as well. Your basement is so big and such a great space. It is such the man room for Christian.
Now that bar idea was genius, Judy! I LOVE IT! Seriously what are you going to do with it otherwise? Very cool:)
I wish you were down here... we are going yard saling this weekend and Nester is having hers down the street form Mom's house! I so want you with me, it would be such fun. Did you look at her pictures of what she is selling? If there is anything you are looking for I can get it for you. Just email me by tonight. Love you.

Katy said...

the craft bar is awesome - what a great idea! but how in the world do you have so many pairs of scissors? unreal!!! love the idea of the chalkboard wall area - i've always wanted to do that somewhere. love the idea of a rich yellow (not sunshiny, kitchen yellow, but a deep one). and the chair? totally a man's chair. hilarious.

Holly said...

I have basement envy. Ours is an unfinished mess, filled with cricket carcuses! As for paint colors, come see me. I've got tons of samples you can try. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of a Duron Color called Plantation Beige (it's really more yellowish/goldish than beige - I have it in my office and my living room) and a color called Biltmore Buff by Sherwin Williams (yellowish, as well). Both would match with your rug - not sure what would match with the Green Chair of Doom, though!

Anonymous said...

Not that a yellow or gold wouldn't match ur rug and look great, just remember that any form of yellow is only going to make the green chair scream "I'm green and right here" there will be no blending to the room or background. Remember my green toilet & bathtub in the new house it screamed green "here I am" when the walls were yellow, now with a nice blue on the walls it calmed it down. Blue wouldn't go so well with rug, but would be soothing, Not that u want a beige, but a member of the brown color family would be best. Just my opinion though.
Lindsey

heatherlm said...

I love your basement. I'm also jealous! The selling point for our house was the finished basement. We used it for the first six months and then.....flooding!Haven't used it since. It's been 7 years. :( I love your craft bar!