Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Kindness

We were in Target today.
The disobedience was rampant.
Meltdowns were happening right and left.
I do believe that there was a five year old who actually threw himself on the floor kicking and screaming.
The two year old kept taking off her shoes and throwing them (until I took them away).

It was not pretty.
If you looked closely you might have seen steam pouring out of my ears.
It was all I could do to keep control.

But I was not going to leave.
Disobedience doesn't win.
I was going to get what I came for if it killed me.

In the process Christian lost his Wii privileges for the day.
Then he lost his four wheeler privileges for the day.
Then I even took away Tom and Jerry (his favorite show).
All the while I knew I was punishing myself more than I was punishing him.

And there was this sweet older lady who kept crossing our path.
I felt embarassed everytime I saw her.
And then she stopped me and told me that I was doing a good job.
She said it made her happy to see me being firm with my kids and she said she hoped I followed through and didn't let my son have his Wii or his 4 wheeler or his favorite show.

I think she had been stalking us :) since she knew every single thing that I was dishing out as punishment.
But I was so thankful for her words.
They made the lies satan had been whispering to me about what a lame parent I was disappear.
So thankful that dear lady spoke some truth into my heart at just the moment I needed it.
And she helped me stick to my resolve! NO Tom & Jerry or Wii or 4 Wheeler!!!!

And the next time I see a mom about to have a melt down right along with her kids I'm going to do my best to speak some truth into her heart too!


7 comments:

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

think it is wonderful that lady stopped and gave you some encouragement. So often people just give you looks like.....can't you control your kids....when that is exactly what we are trying to do! Hurray for both of you!

Anonymous said...

That is sweet...I am the same way- I refuse to give in. I see first hand what spoiled kids become....It is hard though.....but you are a great mom! You should never feel otherwise!
Last week, I had the opposite. I was in the grocery and an older man was looking in the frozen case and I tried to go around him, moved J as well and the man started walking. I stopped, said excuse me, waved him through. He looked at me and ROLLED HIS EYES and said- "YOung people these days"! Yup! I almost laughed outloud......Wendy

Sarah Joy said...

I ma thankful that we are not alone in this parenting thing! It is so hard some days. Yesterday I carried Scott screaming from the movies because he refused to obey. All I know is that our consistency does pay off--- eventually! There are days I see it, glimmers of hope but God's word keep me motivated to continue with firm love and standasrds for these wild boys I am raising. They will grow to be strong men. Keep at it, you are an awesome Mom Jude! I love ya!

the mccollums... said...

good stuff!! What a sweet lady. You're a good mommy for sure! :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't God good to us moms? He knows just when we need encouragement. And you're right, we need to build each other up when we get the chance. Anna :)

Alicia said...

I love your honesty. It is so reassuring!

Katy said...

that is AWESOME!! i love that sweet lady!!! i'm totally with you - i have SOOOO been the mom with the kids falling to pieces around her....so i'm proud of you for sticking to it...and your punishments work very well over here too...same exact ones (except we don't have a 4-wheeler, but the other 2 are very effective!) :)