Saturday, August 28, 2010

August 6th - Christian's 1st Born Again Birthday

In our family we have started a very special tradition (one that was a huge part of my childhood too). We celebrate "Born-Again Birthday's." Christian's was on August 6th and that was day that he asked Jesus to be his Lord and Savior one year ago. And to mark that day and as a way to teach Christian the importance of that day, we celebrate as if it were another birthday. We know that the decision Christian made to let Jesus into his heart gave Christian eternal life and in our minds that's just as important as the day he was born.
What a wonderful day we had! Christian picked out this M&M ice cream cake. He got a few presents and we spent the entire day talking about what it meant to have eternal life. He kept asking me questions all throughout the day. He was really thinking and really asking hard questions. It was good.

We had a special prayer time at bedtime and he had his own prayer time too. I can't even tell you how much it blessed my heart to hear him thanking Jesus for dying on the cross to take his sins away.

Next year I'm going to put a little more planning into Christian's born-again birthday. This year I realized what a treasure it is to know the date when Christian became a Christian. It opened his heart and mind to so many fabulous conversations. It got him thinking and I think it helped both of us to grow a little in our love for our savior. I even heard him talking to McKenna about how she needs to have Jesus in her heart.

The conversation went like this:
C: McKenna, you need to ask Jesus into your heart so you can go to Heaven.
M: Okay Christian.
C: Okay. We're going to pray and you say what I say. "Dear Jesus."
M: "Dear Jesus."
C: You have to close your eyes McKenna! "Please come into my heart."
M:"Please come into my heart."
C: "In Jesus name, amen."
M: "In Jesus name, amen."
C: Good job McKenna. Now you can go to Heaven with me one day. You should go tell mommy.

-------



Very cute. I loved overhearing that. It doesn't really count because McKenna had no idea what she was saying. But it was so sweet and such a special day.


1 comment:

Katy said...

i always thought it was such a neat tradition that you had - celebrating your spiritual birthday. it is, after all, the most important decision a person can make - so why not celebrate it! LOVE it!