Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My dad was right

I'm learning a hard lesson right now. My dad always told me not to mow in flip flops. But who wants a farmer's tan around their ankles? 
Last Friday I whacked the top of my foot on a piece of metal on our tractor. The cut looked gross but it wasn't deep. I got a lot of sympathy from my kids, washed it, put a bandaid on it and carried on. On Sunday it started hurting. On Monday it started swelling & looking oozy. It was so painful I couldn't keep a bandaid on it. My foot was hot & red & swollen. Being tough wasn't working out for me.
On Tuesday afternoon I finally went to the doctor.
The diagnosis: cellulitis (a bacterial skin infection) and possibly some early tetanus symptoms. My neck is stiff & I have a headache in the back of my head. So I got a tetanus shot & an antibiotic.  

If I'm being honest, I'll probably mow in flip flops again, but I will never wait it out again. Anytime I come in contact with a piece of metal that draws blood I'm heading to the doctor. I thought it would be an overreaction to go to the doctor for this, but I was wrong. This is a mess that I do not have time for.
I know...super gross.
So consider this my public service announcement to keep your tetanus shot up to date & go to the doctor if a cut or sore starts swelling or hurting! 

No comments: